Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to have a go at scratch building a derby gothic station based on horton station. Now i have managed to find one plan on the internet for long marton station but it isnt to the same design as horton it is a larger station & it is also missing the waiting room plan. Does anyone on the site have a plan of the station or something looking a bit closer to the prototype with a scale on the plan.
I am going to tackle this idea using Jim Sw,s techniques with foamboard & plasticard overlays & i have managed to find a company that does brass etch windows in various sizes for S&C buildings so half the job is done tackling the tough bits.

thanks

Alberta

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Sorry I cant help you with the information requested but wanted to wish you luck in your project and ask you to post some progress pictures when you get started!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problams i will start a thread once i have the parts needed to make a start. I have been toying with the idea of a few locations on the S&C & i have found a plan of a great western station which i think with a little alteration will make a great S&C setting.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Look in my gallery and you will find the station building you intend to build I think - from memory it was the same size as my model.

the best reference is the book "stations and structures of the Settle and Carlisle railway" by V R Anderson and G K Fox published by OPC. It has the information you need.

Be aware that this station along with many of them was made from ashlar (a cut stone shaped and laid very like brick, but with courses of varying depth) and not classic style stone - it does have standard stone corners though. I do not know of any source of ashlar in 4mm scale, and would be very pleased to find one as carving it is a right royal pain!

Which source are you using for the windows? - My station was made before they existed but If I was to do it again instead of scribing them, I'd use Bill Bedfords - his etchings are by far the best and most accurate for them.

Richard

- QUOTE (alberta @ 8 Feb 2009, 17:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have decided to have a go at scratch building a derby gothic station based on horton station. Now i have managed to find one plan on the internet for long marton station but it isnt to the same design as horton it is a larger station & it is also missing the waiting room plan. Does anyone on the site have a plan of the station or something looking a bit closer to the prototype with a scale on the plan.
I am going to tackle this idea using Jim Sw,s techniques with foamboard & plasticard overlays & i have managed to find a company that does brass etch windows in various sizes for S&C buildings so half the job is done tackling the tough bits.

thanks

Alberta

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 8 Feb 2009, 12:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Look in my gallery and you will find the station building you intend to build I think - from memory it was the same size as my model.

the best reference is the book "stations and structures of the Settle and Carlisle railway" by V R Anderson and G K Fox published by OPC. It has the information you need.

Be aware that this station along with many of them was made from ashlar (a cut stone shaped and laid very like brick, but with courses of varying depth) and not classic style stone - it does have standard stone corners though. I do not know of any source of ashlar in 4mm scale, and would be very pleased to find one as carving it is a right royal pain!

Which source are you using for the windows? - My station was made before they existed but If I was to do it again instead of scribing them, I'd use Bill Bedfords - his etchings are by far the best and most accurate for them.

Richard

-
Hi Alberta and Richard,concerning the stone,if you create a small section of this brickwork would it be usefull to you to have that single piece recreated several times and blend it in ? If so I have a good method for stone, you may allready use it but if not let me know.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Hi

I appreciate the offer and would be very happy to see it, as its always interesting to see other modelling methods... but I do already have a technique I'm happy with for stone and also... stone and ashlar are very different.

cut stone simply needs a lot of care to lay out because its laid like brick and the size of the cut stone blocks is regular in height for each course (in the S&C buildings anyway)

... however the courses are not all the same size, with generally progressively thinner courses towards the top of each building wall.

Just to make it mores of a pain, occasionally there is a thicker row among the thin ones.... (course heights would vary from say appx 3mm to 1mm)

To be honest I'm not a fan of joining lots of small sections - and given its style, I really do not think it possible to realistically use small blended sections for Ashlar so unless a whole large sheet section is made by one of the makers of thin sheet styrene, I will keep using my existing method - marking out DAS modelling clay which has been fixed to either card or styrene and carving it course by course, block/brick or stone by stone to accurately match the photographs of the buildings I'm modelling.

regards

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts