Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i make backboards (a board wwith pictures of hills sky etc), also can you buy them.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi
I make my back boards from 6mm MDF cut to length and width of the layout, not only do they provide the back boards but can also support a top to keep the layout clean when in use.
As to what you wish to use for your backdrop scene there are several already printed items on the market to show a wide array of settings from town scene ,docks, and plain countryside.
The ones i've seen are from peco although noting you are in Australia i'm not sure of availability, other ideas are to find a scene you are happy with and print it out if used correctly they can be very effective, also have you thought of a mirror strategically placed at the back of the layout it can make it look totally different.
Along the backboards if you have the space cast/form some rocks to give a three dimensional more realistic effect.

upnick.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I think that hardboard makes a good backscene. Its principal advantage is that you can easily bend it to produce curved backscene at the corners of the layout. These look much better than two straight pieces joining at a right angle. If you cut a slot in the bottom of it about 500mm long, and the depth of your layout woodwork, then you can fix it at the back on both sides but have a curve of about 300mm radius above. The curve also helps to make the hardboard more rigid along its straight parts.

This won't be much good if you've already put scenery in the corners or a siding leading into a corner. However, if you are still at the construction stage it's something to consider.

Cheers, Robert.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 2 Feb 2008, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I make my back boards from 6mm MDF cut to length and width of the layout, not only do they provide the back boards but can also support a top to keep the layout clean when in use.
As to what you wish to use for your backdrop scene there are several already printed items on the market to show a wide array of settings from town scene ,docks, and plain countryside.
The ones i've seen are from peco although noting you are in Australia i'm not sure of availability, other ideas are to find a scene you are happy with and print it out if used correctly they can be very effective, also have you thought of a mirror strategically placed at the back of the layout it can make it look totally different.
Along the backboards if you have the space cast/form some rocks to give a three dimensional more realistic effect.

upnick.

Yeah well, it is hard in australia, cos i live in a small town fairly secluded from a big place, i have to go to sydney (7 hrs away) to get glue haha. i might give my art teacher 50 bucks and a bit of ply to do it, nah im kidding. ok riteo thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts