Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
how do you make waterfalls, rivers etc on a layout ?

someone said varnish.

is that correct ?

anyone know how please ?

thanks all

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are lots of ways to simulate water, and they're all good. I used high gloss clear varnish over prepainted baseboard. Others will use different materials.
The type of stream you want determines the way you paint its bed. Mine is a clear trout stream. Ripples were worked into it as it dried.

I suggest you experiment on scrap board to see what effects you can get.
Mike

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Woodland Scenics make a stuff called "Ezi Water". While I've never used it I have seen it used to great effect.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 2 Jul 2007, 07:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how do you make waterfalls, rivers etc on a layout ?
someone said varnish.

is that correct ?

anyone know how please ?

thanks all

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
One of the best solution is to use a substance called "Envirotex". You get perfect results.

Baykal

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Brian,

EnviroTex is a USA based plastic resin.I am sure you can find it in UK DIY stores.

The new trend in USA railroad modellers is to use this material in making ponds, lakes rivers.. due too its very high gloss. Site below.

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

Also just write " envirotex modelrailroad " in google and check out the reviews on it.

Baykal

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
don't forget to keep the surface well dusted!

The 'best' water I have ever seen in a photo was of the estuary on the old layout of G Illiffe-Stokes.

It was in an article on building boats, etc...lovely, low-tide, winter's scene with a little 0-4-0 saddletank shunting in the background......incredibly atmospheric!

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have access to the December 1998 Model Railroader, there is an article on making waterfalls from fishing line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts