Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
1 infrequent poster to say that they only use LEDs now because they don't get hot like bulbs and they never break hence 0 members needed to change them, and aren't continental LEDs so much more detailed and yet alas often more expensive than British LEDs?

Goedel

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
And of course at least 1 other to point out that we are all going to have to change our light bulbs for more energy-efficient ones at the behest of the government.....
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
is the lightbulb in the walthers catalouge?
what scale is the bulb?
are these DC or DCC bulbs?
my problem has always been getting the lightbulb to admit it has a problem and that it needs to change.

This gets dragged up on the model railroader forum about evry 6 months!

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
1 to suggest oil lamps as an alternative.
1 to change the subject completely
2 to enter into a personal exchange (not necessarily polite)

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
1 to complain about the livery "My experience suggests that the bulb in question has to cold a glow and that a warmer shade would be better"
14 to claim its spot on and how they "can't stand" rivet counters!
1 to point out that this problem didn't exist back in the good old pre-grouping steam days

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know if the lightbulb is NMRA compliant

I am having compatibility problems, my lightbulb has a bayonet cap fitting but the holder will only take a screw cap lightbulb

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Now Now, noithng annoys me more than people who don't support their local shops!.....

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Not to mention the one reprobate who is quite happy with a candle because he doesn't understand "this new-fangled technology"!

Remember - it is Comic Relief Day!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not far from here there's a village where they still think that electric light is akin to witchcraft and if you start messing with electrickery they'll dunk you in the canal to see if you float then try burning you (but with any luck you'll still be too damp from the canal to ignite). The only bulbs they have are the ones that daffs sprout out of each spring. These are not heavy though so I suppose they could be classed as light bulbs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
At a recent model railway exhibition visited by me, I noticed a retailer was selling a strip of lights suitable for illuminating interiors of coaches. Apparently, strips could be cut, making a perfect fit in a model rail coach - unfortunately, I failed to inquire as to price for these lighting strips.

All my Fleischman's locomotives directional lights are MES 12v bulbs and any failed bulbs are replaced by myself - therefore, only one modeler required to replace and fit one MES bulb.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 16 Mar 2007, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At a recent model railway exhibition visited by me, I noticed a retailer was selling a strip of lights suitable for illuminating interiors of coaches. Apparently, strips could be cut, making a perfect fit in a model rail coach - unfortunately, I failed to inquire as to price for these lighting strips.

Viessmann make a unit with either white or pale yellow LED's that can be cut to length - Roco also do one using bulbs/lamps. If you cannot source locally drop me a PM.

I think also Express Models do one as well as a couple of others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts