Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a moan or complaint, but a general observation about the cost of locos, im generaly happy with what I pay for any loco I purchase, if i was,nt i would leave it alone, but glancing through a well known monthly model rail mag, I was supprised to see a gapeing differences between the cost of british locos against those from other areas of the world? should I be comparing comparing like for like? or how detailed the loco is? against its britis equilevent, I took a simple comparison (as i see it) an OO M7 @ £ 65.00 then just across the page HO/OO engines:- Santa Fe 2-6-0 mogul & tender @ £25.00. a Santa Fe shifter & tender @ £20.00. is that correct? do these locos have motors in them? they seem very cheap,? if you take the vat, transport, and retailers markup, how much are these produced for? the mind boggles

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 20 Jun 2008, 22:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is not a moan or complaint, but a general observation about the cost of locos, im generaly happy with what I pay for any loco I purchase, if i was,nt i would leave it alone, but glancing through a well known monthly model rail mag, I was supprised to see a gapeing differences between the cost of british locos against those from other areas of the world? should I be comparing comparing like for like? or how detailed the loco is? against its britis equilevent, I took a simple comparison (as i see it) an OO M7 @ £ 65.00 then just across the page HO/OO engines:- Santa Fe 2-6-0 mogul & tender @ £25.00. a Santa Fe shifter & tender @ £20.00. is that correct? do these locos have motors in them? they seem very cheap,? if you take the vat, transport, and retailers markup, how much are these produced for? the mind boggles

*** Those are at the very very low end of US models quality wise - quality wise at or below the hornby railroad range if you want a comparison, not much more than basic toys.

quality Mainstream american loco's are certainly slightly better in cost than UK prototypes but their sales volumes are massive so much lower tooling cost and much lower per unit production cost too...

In reality there is nothing too high about H or B prices given current quality - and the same comment could be applied to all prototypes/sources.

You will always only get what you pay for...

Richard

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was going through my old boxes the other day and found the following.

Hornby Dublo 3 rail Bristol Castel EDL20 £2.17s.6d
Hornby Dublo Western region Coach 1st/2nd, 2nd/brake 13s.11d
Hornby Dublo Western region resturant car 15s

these are 1956/57 era.

I bought a complete Castle with 3 coaches and track for £125 at Xmas 2007.

in comparsion things are cheaper now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts