Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,new guy here .
how do i post a short clip- of my live steam ho gauge .
clip is on my pc ,
Daz

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hehe sounds like a Diesel, Pretty cool though. Is she strong?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes ,all home made .
Boiler is 3/4 " copper tube . burner is from 2 gas blaster type lighters .chassis soldered brass plate .firebox is tin can , gas tank is two copper pipe blank ends soldered together and gas tap is from clipper lighter and whole thing is insulated with tin foil .
i did use the lathe to make flywheel and piston . The wheels and axles came from an old triang 060 tank loco. I left worm drive on middle axle and this is driven from front shaft giving approx 17/1 reduction .
it will pull 4 metal hornby dublo passenger cars but then wheelspins
Will post still pic
Daz

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I was looking at the Dublo stuff either side. I guess if Meccano ever had the idea of producing a Live Steam loco then that would be it!

Glad you mentioned that the firebox was a tin can. I was thinking it resembled a Heinz baked bean tin on wheels! I may be right or wrong but from memory you are a bit of a showman so would that loco be making a public appearance at some point?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi , must be another daz ,have never shown models . but have recently joined model engineers society so may be shown at some point . This is fairly old clip .am now half way through building another one that looks more like a loco . trying to make proper push and pull valves and pistons to this scale is tricky at best!!

Also i am building a 5 " 040 tank loco and after that a 7 1/4" midge loco . so i dont get much time to play.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 8 Feb 2007, 17:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very good - made me laugh. The idea of you running around the attic after the live steam loco filming along the way.

Interesting sound. Does the steam drive a fan/turbine?
Ha Ha ,pity i didnt get any film of scrabbling over the layout to put out several fires that broke out when i was experimenting with spirit firing !!

Its not a turbine it has same type of piston as a mamod steam traction engine ( i took one apart ,measured it and halved the specs .)
Daz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it going today and put clip on you tube ,hasent been out for a while .but got going in the end .
Daz

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well Daz well done that looks like you enjoyed building it.

It would be nice to see the pictures of what you are currently building?

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for encouraging comments .
would like to post pics of present projects but have no attachment feature that i can find

Daz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts