Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
HAG stuff is absolutely gorgeous, last time I went to Nurnberg I spent a large part of my time dribbling at their stand. There's just something about it - especially when it comes to handling it. I just don't like the price tags that tend to be attached.

Regards

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE HAG stuff is absolutely gorgeous, last time I went to Nurnberg I spent a large part of my time dribbling at their stand. There's just something about it - especially when it comes to handling it. I just don't like the price tags that tend to be attached

Well Dave thats a red rag to a bull. I will have to investigate.

On a more sour note I put a Lokpilot v3.0 into my Caledonian sleeper loco last night and the motor doesn't work. I'm really struggling to keep my cool with some of these Hornby items. The decoder works as I read all the data into my system and changed the addresses, it just wont move.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for finding the thread BRITHO.

My two most recent purchases have seen a return to Marklin, and the start of selling off my Hornby (again). Both the Marklins ran perfectly straight out of the Box, an E10 with sound for £140, and an Re4/4I again with sound for £130. So each roughly twice the retail of a typical Hornby, but cast metal and with the Softdrive Sinus motor, with flywheel, sturdily mounted to the metal chassis. Metal bodies on both, of course.

Going to need some serious convincing to spend any more of the hard earned on Hornby (steam, at least), will probably go for a Class 56 though, based on the fact that Hornby new generation diesel chassis seem fine (50, 31, and 60).

Seriously considering what to do with the majority of my Hornby 'Super Detail' steam locos, most are unrun, and even if they run correctly, a lot of the value goes out of them once you have used them, and the long term durability of the 5 pole motor mount is seriously in question.

No plans (or cash) for any immediate purchases, just received my updated Marklin Central Station back from Germany (It's now effectively an ECOS, but for Marklin MFX, Motorola) and I'm keen to try out the shuttle train feature using my s88 decoder.

Have fun
Ashley

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 23 Nov 2007, 09:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for finding the thread BRITHO.

Always happy to oblige - how are you getting on with the softdrive?

Regards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 23 Nov 2007, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Always happy to oblige - how are you getting on with the softdrive?

Regards

Very impressed with the Softdrive Sinus, so far anyway. I have a limited test oval at the moment due to a recent house move. I'm aware from other users I met at a Marklin training event that there have been some 'issues' with the compact/softdrive sinus, but both mine appear to run faultlessly. The motor itself is near silent, all you can hear are the pickup shoes. At last Marklin are outperforming Roco, its taken many years for them to get to this point IMHO.

Always been a sucker for metal bodies, which is probably why I was prepared to put up with 14 speed steps and dated decoders until MFX came along.

Regads
Ashley

·
is asleep
759 Posts
Saturday shopping is alas something I am unable to do. Birmingham, or rather the West Midlands conurbation of ~ 2.5 million people is clearly too small a place to support any model shops!! Okay, so they have to be shops selling European outline, and N scale European outline at that...but there is not a single one within at least an hour of me in any direction that I know of. Can anyone help here? In fact, are there any model railway shops in Birmingham at all?? (Then I can lobby them to go European!)

The end result is that I can only buy face-to-face if I meet Winco or NScaleCh or Contikits at an exhibition, and they only go to exhibitions with some European layouts present and so 98% of my models have to come in the post from a distant shop (in the UK or mainland Europe) or eBay (mostly mainland Europe but sometimes the UK...). Of course the post is more likely to come on a weekday...so Saturdays are alas normally dull* in a new-shiny-model kind of way!

It is of course my own choice to model a non-native species of railway in the second most popular scale, but there are many modellers on the forum who clearly have similar difficulties e.g. high shipping costs to Australia etc. and all that postage adds up etc. Sorry I seem to be rambling on and have forgotten the point...

...oh yes, where are the hidden model shops of Birmingham?

*Hmm. Perhaps that just means I should have more time on Saturday for modeling?

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Never having lived in that area, the only place I know of is Modellers' Mecca. This link is for their website. The map shows them to be located somewhere between Wolverhampton and Kidderminster. I've no idea of what they are like but I am sure they were advertising in the Railway Modeller back in the 70s in which case they must be doing something right to stay in business for over 30 years.

David

·
is asleep
759 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 24 Nov 2007, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Never having lived in that area, the only place I know of is Modellers' Mecca. This link is for their website. The map shows them to be located somewhere between Wolverhampton and Kidderminster. I've no idea of what they are like but I am sure they were advertising in the Railway Modeller back in the 70s in which case they must be doing something right to stay in business for over 30 years.
Thanks David, I'll have a look!

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Well we have had another weekend and another outing with the layout, only the little local do but entertaining nevertheless. In my few minutes downtime I managed to grab a quick look around and spend some money. I didn't buy much as not much I wanted but did manage to get amother Playcraft 20 ton mineral wagon and a copy of the Oakwood Press book on the Fairford branch.

Regards

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.