Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the change of dates and potential change of halls for Warley National Model Railway Exhibition there are hints that things might have to be a little different in 2008.

If you were organising a BIG UK national model railway show such as Glasgow or the NEC or Alexandra Palace what would you want to offer your show vistors?

Forget things like parking and food and access and costs of these because these are normally outside the control of the show organiser who has to use a big facility when putting on a show with national appeal.

Focus on the exhibits, entertainment and trade stand side of the show if you would. Is the mix right as it is or is there too much of something and not enough of something else.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've never been to Warley but it surely depends on the 'demographic' that attends.
Joe Public? Joe, Jane and Johnny Public? Cecil Scale Modeller? etc.
But I'd say the lack of replies indicates you are not far off the mark.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Exhibits - more modules please

What about modular layouts? Warley could issue a standard and modellers could produce short sections to the standard and they could all be plugged together and trains run over long distances, (nice though roundhouses and TMDs are). While individual efforts can often be excellent, the spirit of a modular-exhibition is warmer since it is cooperation on a grand scale. There could be prizes for the best module, discounts for traders/modellers bringing a module built to a certain standard etc.

Entertainment - some more of it please

I think there are not enough glamourous models posing with the glittering new releases as they are unveiled, such as at a motorcar show. Presumably there would be a plentiful source of bored and suitably dressed models at the clothes show next door if it was made worth their while? Someone dressed as the Fat Controller making town crier like annoucements? ("Hear yea, hear yea, track ballasting demonstration at 3pm etc. etc.") What about a Where's Wally competition for children - if they spot Wally hidden on a layout somewhere they can have a try at a tombola or something or win a raffle ticket?

I freely admit I haven't been for about ten years so the show has probably moved on from how I (vaguely) remember it, so perhaps my suggestions have already been implemented or are reduntant?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome ideas, it'd certainly make the experience more memorable and you'd then be much more likely to return year on year!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 27 Dec 2007, 00:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about modular layouts? Warley could issue a standard and modellers could produce short sections to the standard and they could all be plugged together and trains run over long distances, (nice though roundhouses and TMDs are). While individual efforts can often be excellent, the spirit of a modular-exhibition is warmer since it is cooperation on a grand scale. There could be prizes for the best module, discounts for traders/modellers bringing a module built to a certain standard etc.

I'm sure that this was proposed on the forum some time ago (about when I joined). AFAIR it was to be OO/HO, but discussions went on for a while & then lost momentum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts