Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having obtained measurements from an official website I have decided to incorporate a hurling pitch onto the spare space on my baseboard. I'm using 00 gauge. However my calculations show that in 00 gauge the pich will cover a space of at least 6ft by 4ft which I think is far too big. I thiink there is something wrong with my calculations somewhere and could do with help. The official measurements for a full size pitch are 130m by 80m. A true 00 scale measurement for this pitch would be appreciated as I don't honestly know where I'm going wrong.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Oldman,not being a sports person myself I thought I'd look it up just out of curiosity.There seems to be a strong resemblence to football pitches and football pitches come in all different sizes according to the net statistics,for a realistic size 2 1/2' x 1 1/2' would be about right (don't quote me on it) but if you were to use ho figures you may use a bit of artistic license and get away with 1 1/4' x 3/4' or cut some green card and eye it up with some figures in place. Hope I've helped you.
PS my rough calculations on a bit of paper came out the same as yours!! 6x4 would just look silly,check out a pecorama layout called Peckwick rye it has a football pitch.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
a small layout for the kids, various english themes in one small place
Or check out this,looks good!!
Sorry this link didnt work,look 'on my layout'a small layout for the kids.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (TheOldMan @ 21 Feb 2009, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having obtained measurements from an official website I have decided to incorporate a hurling pitch onto the spare space on my baseboard. I'm using 00 gauge. However my calculations show that in 00 gauge the pich will cover a space of at least 6ft by 4ft which I think is far too big. I thiink there is something wrong with my calculations somewhere and could do with help. The official measurements for a full size pitch are 130m by 80m. A true 00 scale measurement for this pitch would be appreciated as I don't honestly know where I'm going wrong.

Hello.
If you were to use actual measurements for everything on a layout ,you would need a room the size of a hurling pitch to fit it. You would easily get away with 100yds x 50yds which works out at about 4ft x 2ft and I think you could make it smaller like 3ft x 1.5ft. If it looks right then it is right no matter what the measurements say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 21 Feb 2009, 20:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello.
If you were to use actual measurements for everything on a layout ,you would need a room the size of a hurling pitch to fit it. You would easily get away with 100yds x 50yds which works out at about 4ft x 2ft and I think you could make it smaller like 3ft x 1.5ft. If it looks right then it is right no matter what the measurements say.

Thanks for that. That would be far more manageable and I should now find space for it. At 6x4 it was bigger than my townscape area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts