Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Austrian red, that is. I have picked up a class 1216 Taurus 3 at my lhs yesterday, and albeit I´m not a huge Taurus fan, this one is gorgeous.

The 1216 is the latest development in Taurus engines. The model reproduces the 1216 001, which is one of the engines designed to run in Austria, Germany, Slovenia and Italy. It is basically a DBAG class 189 inside the (modified) carbody of a Taurus. Top spped 230 kph in AT and D, 140 in I and SL.

Roco claims to have designed this model from scratch. There are ongoing discussions whether it is made in China or Slovakia, anyway, it is great imho.

And it FINALLY provides me with an excuse to go out and buy a couple of Railtop Eurocity coaches!

The only recent release that has not been completely ripped apart on Austrian forums (and as Gödel will confirm, they are very determined to show that Austrians are the true masters of the ancient art of flamewar...); the only issue apparently being that the front logo may (!) be printed a tad too high.

Hope you like!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 30 Mar 2008, 17:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only recent release that has not been completely ripped apart on Austrian forums (and as Gödel will confirm, they are very determined to show that Austrians are the true masters of the ancient art of flamewar...); the only issue apparently being that the front logo may (!) be printed a tad too high.

That is quite simply the most delicious model!!
I don't think I will be 'flaming' about this! A super model of a super locomotive. I think the Taurus 4 will probably be able to fly!
And it certainly will look very good with the magnificent RailTop coaches!

Talking of ungrateful Austrian forums, I wonder how the surprise N scale Rh 1012 from Minitrix will be received when it appears?! The catalog picture is definitely H0 with the Rapido coupling added afterwards by computer, and isn't even the Trix H0 model anyway but an earlier small series model I read on one of these Austrian forums. Then again, with such brilliant models available in H0 such as this Taurus 3, those who model in N are more concerned about the landscape and trains with the real number of coaches that most people can't possibly fit into a H0 layout!

Is is always better to read reviews of European models here, as if the lettering is out by 1mm, then like me no-one cares! Thanks for sharing this ME-26 06; the best way to show off the Austrian prototype must be Roco models of the 1216 and the BBÖ 310
!

I think the problem will these Austrian forums, and others, is that they are used to such high standard models that they get very upset about tiny things, when UK modellers would be delighted with such models. True, they are more expensive, but I don't care where they put "part of the best" as long as it is within a few mm of the right place!

Why why why do I model N scale, I think, each time such a model is shown! You must stop tormenting me Tom!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 30 Mar 2008, 20:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I certainly do - all I need now is an excuse to buy one.

I take it that the performance is up to the usual Roco standard ?

Yes, absolutely. The motor sounded a bit "rough" in the beinning, but after break-in, it is Roco as usual.

Here´s your excuses: when you install a DCC decoder, you can switch the main beam (the upper headlights) on and off by pressing the F1 key; the lower lights will stay on as well, only the upper headlights will shine a bit brighter. Now, who needs that, honestly?

The photos are of my oob, brand new engine, no superdetailing parts applied. Where´s all the fun, heck? Who´d buy that?

I paid a premium at my lhs; actually, I paid near rrp, which was EUR 173. The engine was fine, and apart from supporting my local hobby shop, I didn´t want to take any chances that if I ordered a cheaper one by mail, that model might have been a faulty sample (according to Murphy´s law, it would have been...
)

[Darth Vader] Gödel, come join the dark side... remember the new Jägerndorfer class 1063/1163 diesel engines... Railtop coaches... class 4030 railcar sets... join the dark side of HO modelling... [/Darth Vader]

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Mar 2008, 22:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice, it looks a bit better than my Trix one. Wouldn't mind having a closer look at this one. Guess I might have to get one.

Neil, is that a Brawa loco in your signature with a smoke generator fitted? How does the smoke come out? Does it take time to warm up etc?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 1 Apr 2008, 09:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil, is that a Brawa loco in your signature with a smoke generator fitted? How does the smoke come out? Does it take time to warm up etc?
Hi Simon, yes it's a Brawa Br19 1001. The smoke generator is preinstalled although I have had to replace the installed one a month ago. It did work when I got it, these things expire after a while though.

You operate by pressing a function button.

It works by putting smoke fluid into the smoke generator by use of a syringe (2mls). It only really takes a couple of second to fire up if all is working and you haven't put too much fluid in.

Here's another couple of gratuitous pictures which show smoke generators.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had Roco 1216 on order for about 6 weeks now from a German dealer. I also ordered some Roco spares at the same time, and this is the hold up.

I have always found it difficult to obtain Roco spares, I bought a 103 Electric about 3 years ago now and the pantograph snapped as I removed it from the box (my fault).
About 18 months ago a dealer got hold of one for me, but it was bent out of shape when it got to the UK......and now I am trying again.

When I ordered the 1216 the exchange rate was not so bad, in the 6 weeks since it has plummeted, I wish the dealer had charged my card 6 weeks ago!

I understand that Roco currently have production facilities in Romania and Slovakia, I hope they have not succumbed to China....

Until I read this thread I was not aware that the 1216 was new tooling, I had assumed it was just an 1116 with 4 pantographs, even more excited now...

Ashley

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 2 Apr 2008, 00:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have always found it difficult to obtain Roco spares,
Ashley

Roco spares usually arrive within a week of us ordering them, provided they have them in stock. If not I think it probably has to wait until the next production run of the item you need spares for.

What certainly does help is to quote the actual part number.

However, you cannot buy spare parts direct from Roco anymore - you have to go through a dealer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 1 Apr 2008, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Simon, yes it's a Brawa Br19 1001. The smoke generator is preinstalled although I have had to replace the installed one a month ago. It did work when I got it, these things expire after a while though.

You operate by pressing a function button.

It works by putting smoke fluid into the smoke generator by use of a syringe (2mls). It only really takes a couple of second to fire up if all is working and you haven't put too much fluid in.

Here's another couple of gratuitous pictures which show smoke generators.

Thanks for the reply, getting a loco with sound and a smoke generator is on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Simon,

Obtaining that first sound equipped locomotive is areal thrill (mine was a K.W.St.E. class K).

It is however a slipery slope. I now generally only run my sound equiped locomotives with any regularity. The others just sit quietly in the locomotive depot!

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts