Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody an idea why the restaurant car on ICE1 has a raised roof while the ICE2 version has a normal height outline? It looks like the ICE1 has a higher interior with roof windows, I wonder why this design was ditched? Possibly for aerodynamic reasons?

·
Registered
312 Posts
No idea on the height though it was the wheels on the ICE 1 restaurant that apparently caused that big crash, when they broke apart, so it may have something to do with loadings at high speed or stability ?
Just a possiblilty.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 20 Jan 2008, 01:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anybody an idea why the restaurant car on ICE1 has a raised roof while the ICE2 version has a normal height outline? It looks like the ICE1 has a higher interior with roof windows, I wonder why this design was ditched? Possibly for aerodynamic reasons?

The raised roof on the ICE 1´s dining car was raised so that the guests could drink their beer while standing up and still have comfortable "clearance" as far as the roof is concerned.

The design was ditched mainly for weight reasons. The ICE2 often only has one traction unit (I see that every day on the Hannover-Bremen leg), yet has to sustain speeds of 250 kph, so the train´s weight had to be reduced drastically. As a passenger, you can also see that the ICE 2 seats appear flimsier, the compartments were ditched, too, as were many interior adornments.

EDIT: Paul, it wasn´t the diner. See here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd heard the vibration was particularly noticeable in the dining car but that appears to have been the earlier style of wheel fatigue according to your link not the Eschede crash. Bad memory or a slightly inaccurate article I read about it. I've got a full length Ice 1 but rarely run it as it takes so long to get on the track with al those snap coupling bars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 20 Jan 2008, 11:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd heard the vibration was particularly noticeable in the dining car but that appears to have been the earlier style of wheel fatigue according to your link not the Eschede crash. Bad memory or a slightly inaccurate article I read about it. I've got a full length Ice 1 but rarely run it as it takes so long to get on the track with al those snap coupling bars.

Well the Fleischmann ICE1 trailer units arrived today (in N) and those connectors are certainly very fiddly to connect. The colour seems a very light grey rather than white as in the catalogue. Should the actual models we a very light grey as I want to make sure later coaches are all the same colour. thanks

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I have a photo of an ICE2 at Interlaken West in the gallery - see it here. It looks like it left the paint shop white but ICE1 may be different.

I also have a photo of the restaurant car which is marshalled in these trains. It has the extra row of windows in the roof but not the blank panel in the centre. Is this the other side to the view show above? I can post the image if anyone is interested.

David

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 21 Jan 2008, 20:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a photo of an ICE2 at Interlaken West in the gallery - see it here. It looks like it left the paint shop white but ICE1 may be different.

I also have a photo of the restaurant car which is marshalled in these trains. It has the extra row of windows in the roof but not the blank panel in the centre. Is this the other side to the view show above? I can post the image if anyone is interested.

David

Its hard to tell from photographs as slight overexposure will make a light grey appear as white. Wondering if anybody has some of the Fleischmann models and know how they arrive from the shop. thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 21 Jan 2008, 21:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a photo of an ICE2 at Interlaken West in the gallery - see it here. It looks like it left the paint shop white but ICE1 may be different.

David

Yep. The blank panel is where the bar/kitchen (ok, who said "microwave cupboard"?
) is located; the small door on the right side of the "panel" is the loading door for food and drinks.

Have you ever travelled on an ICE train yourself, David? If not, I can post some pictures from inside the dining car that could clear things up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 21 Jan 2008, 22:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep. The blank panel is where the bar/kitchen (ok, who said "microwave cupboard"?
) is located; the small door on the right side of the "panel" is the loading door for food and drinks.

Have you ever travelled on an ICE train yourself, David? If not, I can post some pictures from inside the dining car that could clear things up.

That would be nice to see, still wondering why they are higher as you can stand up in a normal height carriage anyway. Maybe the increased feeling of space would attract passengers to the restaurant to spend some euros.

Found a lot of good information at this site;

http://www.railfaneurope.net/ice/ice1.html

Lots of interior pictures here;

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/de/electr...terior/pix.html

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Have you ever travelled on an ICE train yourself, David? If not, I can post some pictures from inside the dining car that could clear things up.

I haven't so it would be interesting to see the inside of the car.

TIA

David

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have sometimes wondered why the ICE were painted white.

At the speed that they travel, not many bugs escape getting squashed on the front.

In real life, the fronts are quite dirty.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 4 Feb 2008, 08:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have sometimes wondered why the ICE were painted white.

At the speed that they travel, not many bugs escape getting squashed on the front.

In real life, the fronts are quite dirty.

John

Well, if they ever come to the UK via the High Speed Link they will probably have to be yellow fronted !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts