Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the current issue of Hornby magazine I realised what an icon the HST really is - 40 years old, still going strong (OK, well modified over the years, but still largely "as is) & still looking good. By now it must be well past it's "sell by" date - anyone know what it's design life actually was ?

The road transport equivelent must surely be the Routemaster bus, which well exceeded it's design life in front line London service with only a few now remaining on the heritage fleet.

What other transport icons can forum members think of ?

·
Registered
982 Posts
747 First wide bodied jet- brought low cost air travel to the masses. Later variants still in service and -800series about to be introduced.

mini?

Russell

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well, there's the A4, I'm not a huge fan but as a working piece of art deco it's certainly stood the test of time. Then there is our old friend the original, 1959, Mini. The Ford Transit, which has of course, as "The Tranny" become the generic phrase for any panel van sold anywhere in the UK!

Oh and I mustn't forget Concorde - how many other aircraft have brought major roads to a total standstill?

I'm sure others will have their own ideas but there's mine for starters.

Regards

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Vickers Supermarine Spitfire - iconic shape and a symbol of Britain's resistance during the Second World War.

Mini Cooper - small, cheap and tons of fun

The Space Shuttle - a key component of space exploration since the early 1980's

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
The LMS Black 5 - a quite stylish loco. A good all round loco, capable of hauling almost any type of train and in BR days in poor conditions still proved themselves on a daily basis right up till the end of steam.

SS Great Britain - revolutionary in its day for being the first ocean going ship to be built of iron and powered by a screw propeller, which is only a few percent less efficient than modern day propellers and still survives today.

The Bullet Train 0 series - like the british hst the 0 series is an railway icon; A design that even today still looks modern. First running in 1964 and ending service in 2008 with a perfect safety record the 0 series was one of the first of a long line of high speed fixed formation trains that would include the hst 125, TGV and ICE trains.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The RT bus - predecessor to the Routemaster and also a London icon from WW2 until 1979. It introduced jig building and standardisation on a large scale.

Mallard and Flying Scotsman - known the world over.

Rolls Royce cars, still the ultimate status symbol, probably more so than any other brand - I know there are dearer and more exclusive cars available but a Roller still means more.

Cunard's ocean liners, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Elizabeth 2.

Model T Ford.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Hmmmmm This list wanders off course a little I guess... from design to concepts that changed things.

Railways:
Steam: The A4 - As an LMS/MR man it pains me greatly to say it but its probably more representative of the heyday of "style and art deco design for the sake of it" than any other loco, and reproduced in photos more often than Pamela Andersons designer created Boobs.

Diesel the General Motors F series - a stylish shape and evolved as the backbone of the transition to diesel in US and other countries. Perhaps the 08 - an LMS design that evolved to become the longest lasting of British diesel shapes....

Civilian Aircraft: The DC3/Dakota - the real start of Passenger travel, the Lockheed constellation as the first real global international airliner... followed by the Comet... the real start to jet travel for the masses, let down not by innovation & technology but by lack of awareness of metallurgy and the stresses of high altitude flight.

Military Aircraft: The Stuka as the first really effective tactical bomber - The Spitfire as the prettiest aircraft ever and the Mosquito as the pinnacle of lateral thinking under wartime materials shortages... The B29 as the father of all modern strategic bombers and the Vulcan as the prettiest of the Cold war warriors.

Cars: The Model T as the grandaddy of transport for the Masses and Rolls Royce for its uncompromising early years.... The Mini for Lateral thinking and the original willys Jeep for pragmatic 4 wheel drive invention.

Buildings: The pyramids - a simple eternal statement.

Ships: The tea clippers and the first refrigerated vessels, globalising trade across the whole agricultural spectrum. The Aircraft Carrier (Thanks to another British invention, the Steam Catapult)

Model Trains: DCC for widening the modelling base to bring in many younger modellers.....and the Chinese - Saviours of several brands and making of many others who could never have evolved without them.

Merry Christmas

Richard

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The Mini: I never thought of that one but you are right it was (and still is) definitely an iconic car and design concept.

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 23 Dec 2008, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... By now it must be well past it's "sell by" date - anyone know what it's design life actually was ?....

Given that the APT prototype was gas powered, not very long.

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 23 Dec 2008, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....What other transport icons can forum members think of ?

Not really transport, but the F15 'Eagle' is a modern icon of the military aviation world, along with the Harrier 'Jump Jet', the AH64 'Apache' helicopter and the B-2 Stealth Bomber.

Concorde is an obvious transport icon though, with just 14 built it was always a doomed plane, but no-one can deny it was a great aircraft and fantastic engineering feat.

G

·
Hi All

As peices of design I would list the following

TGV
Princess coronation - steam loco's never got any better than these
Supermarine Spitfire - as close to perfect as you could get
Ducatti 916
Mig 32 - looks like it will kill you standing still!
Mclaren F1
Audi R8 -
McLaren Honda MP4/5B - F1 cars never looked this beautiful.
LT routemaster - THE bus.

Cheers

Jim

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I'd like to nominate the great British 4-4-0 express passenger engine as an icon :
Doesn't matter which region you like, they are all outstandingly beautiful: T9, D15, Midland 2P and Compound, Directors, D, E, L, D30, D34, Holden's Claud, Heywood's lovely D40, Schools, Bullldogs, Dukes and Dukedogs and all the others I left out (LNWR, GNR, NER, LBSCR, CR etc, I know, I know) - no other country did it quite the same.

While I'm at it..... (no special order)

The P8

The Bavarian S3/6

The original NOHABs

The Euston Arch

The Forth Bridge

The Pullman car - art deco before art deco

Tommy

St Pancras

TALGO

The Merchant Navies

O4

Merry Christmas all

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Dec 2008, 03:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Hmmmmm This list wanders off course a little I guess... from design to concepts that changed things.

It has a little (but then again that's an MRF "speciallity") - nice to be reminded of some of the other icons though.

Thanks to all the members who have contributed to the thread.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE The Mini: I never thought of that one but you are right it was (and still is) definitely an iconic car and design concept.

and have you noticed how the image of the new Mini crops up everywhere? It seems the Icon of the original has been also been updated to match the reincarnation. There are three images on the front of "Merde Actually"; one of which is the front of a Cooper S (the BMW version).

I may sensitised to recognising it because I drive a One D, but it does seem to get everywhere....

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE one transport icon that hasn't been mentioned is the ford transit

It's in post 3 actually but there's no harm in mentioning it again. It changed the face of the small goods transport.

It seems Royal Mail are introducing an "Icons" set of stamps next month (that's January) and two of them will be Concorde and the Mini (lower case means the Issigonis version).

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The De Havilland Comet - the worlds first jet airliner. OK the Comet one had fatigue problems, but the mark 4 flew well into the 70's and the RAF still use a variant but that is the Nimrod. And that is, in it's own way, another icon.

Regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts