Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an unmade (for now) MTK (Modern Traction Kits) CW28 Bullion Van

I have so far done a number of searches on google etc. for any details of Bullion vans in running or preservation and all i have managed to find out so far about these is a small article with 2 pictures of a rusting old carriage before it went into preservation which was supposedly one of these bullion vans when it was in service.

does anyone have any details of these vans, either in use or better yet their livery? I do have the MTK instructions, but these are famous for their lack of details, and all they say is that "you should paint your finished kit in a suitable livery" not very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I am pretty sure I have seen one of these vans in BR blue and grey but they are old enough to have carried maroon as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks - these pictures have been of great help, they even show where mtk have the end detail wrong

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember seeing the occasional bullion van in blue/grey at both Kings Cross and Euston in the 1970s, mainly during the evening, although it took me a while to discover what the coaches were used for. They were attached to the front of expresses before departure IIRC, so it would be ok to have one in an occasional service.

There were only 5 built. 99200-4. The first 3 were on the LMR, 99203 was the WR one, and 99204 was ER (from Keith Parkins Mk1 'bible', where there is a b/w photo of M99201 being propelled by D8011 at Euston).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts