Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
have you like me had people say, "you would not see a train like that". or "they dont ever run in the same train". well nows your chance to show them that they do. heres some of the trains i would like to run on my layout.

i know that this is not a train, but iam thinking of a way to put one of these on my layout

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I think I may try to get hold of an English Electric Type 4 (class 40) motor less shell so that it can "rescued" by a Gresley Pacific

David

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quite right Pepe,
Thanks for the photos,
the bores will always be found wanting, as there is almost a prototype for everything!

Just have fun

Regards

Clive

·
is asleep
758 Posts
What a fun topic! I'd love to run a train of trains...

(The EM 2008 football world cup and Austrian ÖBB painted some Tauruses specially...(shame England did not make it! Well, the Union Jack flag would have looked more fun I think...)

How often do you get 18 6400kW locomotives in one train?! 115200kW of power in theory, and 5400kN of tractive effort. (The full load might vaporise the catenary first though!! But you probably pull a laden super-tanker up the beach at Weston-super-Mare...)

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you want something really unusual I once saw an 08 shunter propelling 3 catfish ZFV hoppers at the nose end, with the royal train attached to the cab end.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Like the pics Pepe - seeing sights like the last one always makes me chuckle about the way it's appears that railway rolling stock is more cost effective to move by road - not really the way top encourage fright off the roads, unless of course the stock is that defective it not longer runs on rails safely...................

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Trog @ 8 Jan 2009, 23:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want something really unusual I once saw an 08 shunter propelling 3 catfish ZFV hoppers at the nose end, with the royal train attached to the cab end.

Maybe the hoppers were full of catlitter (or similar) for the Corgis !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Jan 2009, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I may try to get hold of an English Electric Type 4 (class 40) motor less shell so that it can "rescued" by a Gresley Pacific

Strangely enough David this very nearly happened in the early eighties when a 40 on a ballast train failed in front of a railtour. The only available rescue loco was that off the railtour, not an A4, but Bahamas. That should please Richard at least

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Jan 2009, 00:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>not really the way top encourage fright off the roads,

If it wasn't on the trailer that really would be a "fright" on the roads

Actually I rather liked the fourth photo.

Regards

·
Registered
675 Posts
Driving up the A702 early this afternoon just north of Abington and saw what I think was the royal train, heading south, but with a yellow Mk1 engineer's coach with a pantograph on the wires as second vehicle. The formation was pantograph coach, 3 purple Mk3 coaches, the whole thing topped and tailed with purple Class 67s. That converted Mk 1 coach with the pantograph needed a double take. No camera.
mal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 14 Jan 2009, 16:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That converted Mk 1 coach with the pantograph needed a double take. No camera.

That's always the way in my experience.

Regards

·
Registered
228 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 14 Jan 2009, 16:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Driving up the A702 early this afternoon just north of Abington and saw what I think was the royal train, heading south, but with a yellow Mk1 engineer's coach with a pantograph on the wires as second vehicle. The formation was pantograph coach, 3 purple Mk3 coaches, the whole thing topped and tailed with purple Class 67s. That converted Mk 1 coach with the pantograph needed a double take. No camera.
mal

That is weird! That said, the royal train stock is owned by Network Rail, so I guess if they've got some of the 'lesser' royal vehicles lying around (like the staff sleeping cars or offices), it'd be their call -- perhaps they just avoid using the Queen's and Prince Philip's saloons. EDIT: Wouldn't do to have one's bed linen crumpled by railway personages...

Thinking about it, why would you want to test ECML overhead at anything less than 125mph? How much spare rolling stock is there twiddling its thumbs, 'free' for NR's use, and certified for the main line? I suppose there's the New Measurement Train, but I realise I don't know if it has a pantograph vehicle and even if it does it may have been elsewhere or out of commission.

Hmm...

Tom

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Jan 2009, 06:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I may try to get hold of an English Electric Type 4 (class 40) motor less shell so that it can "rescued" by a Gresley Pacific

David

*** Haven't learned to consist with that all dancing and singing ESU DCC system yet???? No need for a motorless anything David - Advanced consisting will do it in a few taps of the touch screen.... so you will be able to rescue the A4 that was rescuing the CL40 with your Jubilee or Coronation

Richard

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Haven't learned to consist with that all dancing and singing ESU DCC system yet???? No need for a motorless anything David - Advanced consisting will do it in a few taps of the touch screen.... so you will be able to rescue the A4 that was rescuing the CL40 with your Jubilee or Coronation

Nice one

I do have a Jubilee. It's currently sitting in line with a rebuilt Scot and a rebuilt Patriot. Those two chunky 4-6-0s do make it look rather small and delicate. The line next to it is currently stabling an A1 and an A3. Whether or not I get a Coronation will depend on whether I can be convinced that they visited the Leeds area on normal traffic duties rather than rail tours. I suppose I could try to find out what the RCTS used to arrange in the 50s. Even then it would have to wait behind a late Britannia with the large tender and at that point the outrageous over representation of Pacifics has almost certainly gone too far.

As for a powered class 40? Well maybe. I do have a blue Jouef example in a box somewhere but I doubt it's worth the time to repaint it green.

As for consisting - maybe I could start with double headed A3s?

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE As for consisting - maybe I could start with double headed A3s?

I've had a better idea - a Black Five and a Jubilee - both fitted with sound decoders. I am just trying to imagine what they would sound like - the two cylinder 5 and three cylinder Jubilee starting a Liverpool bound express out of Leeds City (new).

I know Black 5 chips are available. I'm not sure about the Jubilee.

David

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The test coach sounds like MENTOR. http://www.traintesting.com/Mentor.htm

That page also confirms that the New Measurement Train includes a pantograph. Maybe that's out of commission for some reason, but my guess is they're doing extra overhead line monitoring on the WCML after the spate of major OHL failures recently. If so perhaps they've had to fall back on the older vehicle and scratch together the rest of the train from whatever is available at short notice.

Infrastructure monitoring trains usually run with some extra coaches to provide brake force (though with Class 67 this isn't strictly necessary, as unlike older locos they are not underbraked). In principle any coach with the correct braking system and speed capability will do, but the most common are some ex-Gatwick Express Mk2s based at the RTC. I suppose it could have been the Royal Train but perhaps also might have been the EWS Executive Train which includes Mk3s of a similar colour. http://mauretania.fotopic.net/c1635126.html

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 16 Jan 2009, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The test coach sounds like MENTOR. http://www.traintesting.com/Mentor.htm
That page also confirms that the New Measurement Train includes a pantograph.

I suppose it could have been the Royal Train but perhaps also might have been the EWS Executive Train which includes Mk3s of a similar colour. http://mauretania.fotopic.net/c1635126.html

Thanks, Edwin, yes it was MENTOR; the coaches could easily have been the Executive train, but the two 67s were also purple. Something you don't see everyday
mal

·
Registered
228 Posts
*** Edwin - that all seems like sound deduction to me, thanks for the information. Using some bits of the royal train more than others would seem place the vehicles on something of an inefficient maintenance cycle, whereas the EWS exec train coaches often appear to run in their same rake of three.

Dave Coxon's traintesting.com (as per Edwin's link) is a fascinating site on an all-too forgotten aspect of railways. If this picture isn't an inspiration to modelmakers then I don't know what is!

Cheers,

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts