Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to identify some quite old model railway track. I have a small quantity of this track which I have had for 35 years, and it was very old when I acquired it. It is 00 gauge but is not like any tri-nag hornby track I have seen elsewhere. The curves are much less severe; it has thin black metel sleepers and thin metal (looks like steel) rails. A couple of the pieces have electrical wires directly soldered to the track.

Is there a web resource with pictures etc that I could find to help identify different types?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Turner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lovitar

It is two rail track. The fishplates are tiny u shaped metal pieces about 1/4 of an inch long which clip onto the end of one rail.

Regards

Dave Turner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave,
You say the sleepers are metal? Very unusual for two rail track - if it looks nothing like any of the older British track systems there is a small possibility it may be continental in origin, but it is difficult to say without actually seeing it - do you have a picture you could post? Also, I don't know of any web-based resources but there are some toy and model museums around who may have similar track in their collections.
Regards,
Loviatar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Loviator

On closer inspection, I think I am mistaken about this - sleepers look like metal but I think is actually very thin black plastic. Can't see how to add a picture to this board - I could e-mail one to you?

Regards

Dave Turner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yeah sure - I've modified my settings so you should be able to send me a message if you click on my name
Regards,
Loviatar.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Are the sleepers actually a stiff fibre-type material and is the track held to it by a sort of eyelet arrangement? If the answer to both is 'Yes' then it may be Wrenn track. This was around in the 1950s/60s - my father and I used a lot of it on our layout, long dismantled. The points were not bad but easily distorted and needed careful fixing down.
Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 17 Dec 2006, 21:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are the sleepers actually a stiff fibre-type material and is the track held to it by a sort of eyelet arrangement? If the answer to both is 'Yes' then it may be Wrenn track. This was around in the 1950s/60s - my father and I used a lot of it on our layout, long dismantled. The points were not bad but easily distorted and needed careful fixing down.
Regards,
John Webb

I think Graham Farish also made a track like this as well - long time ago & the memory fades !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And.....just to add chaos into the confusion, I seem to recall that Many years ago I had some Trix track on fibre type sleepers. Memory lane all over again.

Regards

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts