Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a function on the forum to ignore members, most others have the function but I can't find one on here.

Thanks Darren

·
Registered
487 Posts
As in TV programs that really annoy - switch channel or switch off with the hand control set. With Forums, just move to another topic - though I appreciate some entrants can really upset with their entries.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ignore list allows you to ignore posts or people on forums, I was asking as I couldn't find the one on here, now I have thanks to Neil's direction.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have never thought of using this. I have tried it and it displays the following in place of a post by someone on your ignored list:

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: joeblogs.

· View this post
· Un-ignore joeblogs
I actually wouldn't use this feature on this forum as it would break posts up and prevent continuity.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't see the point really firstly it makes threads harder to follow and secondly you never know when someone might post that really useful nugget of information

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 24 Jul 2007, 19:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't see the point really firstly it makes threads harder to follow and secondly you never know when someone might post that really useful nugget of information

exactly what I thought......I do KNOW what the 'hignore' button does, but when I asked

QUOTE what's this thread about? I was really seeking the purpose behind the idea.

I actually struggle to understand WHY a forum such as this, would need an 'hig-nore' button?

I can understand some forum personalities could get up other personalities' nostrils......but hey, so what?

this glorious hobby [past-time?] of ours has a history steeped in controversy and argument.

both in prototype and model form.

''Ignore'' someone, and as bangerblueed says, you COULD miss a vitally useful bit of information.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
I often find that while one moment you can have a heated discussion with someone the next time they can among the first to help out with an enquiry.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Ozwarrior - your comment
"I often find that while one moment you can have a heated discussion with someone the next time they can among the first to help out with an enquiry"

I totally agree with you & to me, it is a sign of some maturity that we can do this & hopefully we all improve in our relationships with others.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 25 Jul 2007, 23:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I often find that while one moment you can have a heated discussion with someone the next time they can among the first to help out with an enquiry.

Absoloutly.

i seem to remember a heated discussion some time back between myself and Neil. we seem to have been getting on all right since then.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I suppose I could "ignore" dbclass50, it wouldn't achieve anything though - he'd still ring me up!!

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 26 Jul 2007, 14:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Absoloutly.

i seem to remember a heated discussion some time back between myself and Neil. we seem to have been getting on all right since then.

Peter

It is funny that debates get quite heated on here and other internet forums. Sometimes the debates are over things we do not really even care much about e.g. three rail. What is it about Model Rail that gets people so passionate and gets them arguing about things that they couldn't really give a monkeys about?

Then there are the subjects that people are passionate about e.g. DCC especially the Hornby interpretation which has turned the DCC section into the Iwo Jima of model rail.

I was reading in Model Railroader last night about this phenomenom on internet forums so it is universal. I wonder why it is? My take on it is that you wouldn't speak like that to people face to face as it would turn into a fist fight whereas over the internet you know you're not going to get a smack in the mouth so you go further than you would in conversation.

QUOTE Great, now I can ignore everybody's posts and just enjoy my own rantings, and unlike Pete I still can't stomach Neil

Isn't that what your blogs for?
Oh and, that's it! You're getting removed from my freinds list.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Jul 2007, 08:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder why it is? My take on it is that you wouldn't speak like that to people face to face as it would turn into a fist fight whereas over the internet you know you're not going to get a smack in the mouth so you go further than you would in conversation.
Isn't that what your blogs for?
Oh and, that's it! You're getting removed from my freinds list.

Neil,

I think you have pretty much answered your own question.
The reason why some people behave the way they do in internet forums is because they can.
They can hide behind their computer screens, usually with some ficticious name (which this forum just as any other encourages), knowing that they can and never will be held accountable for their writings.

My view is that one should never write in an email something which one would not be prepared to say to the recipient face-to-face.

The internet has also introduced a number of new time scales which some people are not familiar with:

- The second - the time it takes to write an email
- The millisecond - the time it takes to press 'send'
- The nanosecond - the time it takes for an email to reach its recipient
- The 'Oh No' second - the time it takes to realise that one should not have sent what one has written

Graham Plowman

1 - 20 of 42 Posts