Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd lighten things up a bit with this one. What illnesses do railway/railroad modellers suffer from?

So far I've noted the following:

Toomuchmuckaphobia - a fear of over weathering

Dvditis - collecting railway DVDs

Bookaphobia - having a fear of not buying railway books.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!!

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Mustvisitthecluboholic - an addiction to visiting your local model railway club

forumfeaver - a sweatness that occurs when you do not have internet access

boxitis - a fear of disposing of packaging. Sufferers have piles of empty boxes in the loft or under the layout

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
What about illnesses suffered by those who are apparently unable to stand hobbies such as railway modelling, trainspotting etc.?

Anorackaphobia perhaps?

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've already admitted to bookaphobia, but not to the one that takes up space and occasionally "sorting out" time.
The one I'm talking about is of course keepitallitis, which is a fear of throwing out anything that could ever, even in my wildest dreams, be useful for some job on the layout.
Associated with this, but perhaps not so serious is thatcontainerwillcomeinhandyitis, which surely is self explanitory.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ohh! I like that one, keepitallitis. Must be the illness I have for not getting rid of these 100 US frieght car kits I have behind me. I guess I can use them sometime

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 15 Feb 2007, 11:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've already admitted to bookaphobia, but not to the one that takes up space and occasionally "sorting out" time.
The one I'm talking about is of course keepitallitis, which is a fear of throwing out anything that could ever, even in my wildest dreams, be useful for some job on the layout.
Associated with this, but perhaps not so serious is thatcontainerwillcomeinhandyitis, which surely is self explanitory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wot, no one suffering from musthaveititus or Rivetcounter's disease or suffer from a surfeit of diseasels?
And surely some of you have reddytorunitis and some definitely suffer from verbal Diarrhoea!
Tee hee! :)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (David(UK) @ 16 Feb 2007, 11:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rivetcounter's disease

Now that one I like..........but it can apparently be cured with a thick layer of paint.

Regards

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Getthisincase Syndrome - hence stocks of bits "just in case"

Asparewontdoanyharmitis.... more stocks

it seems that whatever the illness one of the symtoms appears to be SOC (rather than SOB) - shortness of cash and workina (severe pain at the thought of work rather than modelling)!

The other main symptoms are overful modelling rooms

·
Registered
109 Posts
My contribution is purely tongue-in-the-cheek simply because I believe that there is room for some humour and laughter in the hobby. To much serious stuff without a break can make us narrowminded.

I have lately become aware of the following vicious circle:

Smugglethatlastpurchaseintothehouselateatnightsyndrome - this can cause some serious anxiety

Explaintheshortfallonthemonthlybudgetdisease - sufferers have been seen to frantically punch their calculators

Whatthehellisthisonthecreditcardstatementsyndrome - it is known that sufferers are usually lost for words

Whatisinthisparceladdressedtoyouanddeliveredthismorningillness - it is a documented fact that people suffering from this illness always have answers ready and most of the times escape unharmed

Whydoyouhavetogotothehardwarestorebecauseyouwerethereeysterdaysickness - sufferers always leave their homes and through some mysterious force and drive and still unexplainable coincidence ALWAYS end up at a model train swopmeet or a model train shop. It has been documented by numerous researchers that these sufferers contract another disease or syndrome when they return home from the model train swopmeet or the model train shop - SMUGGLETHATLASTPURCHASEINTOTHEHOUSELATEATNIGHTSYNDROME -
and it starts all over again!!!

I am a bit worried now, because I think I may suffer from most of these diseases, ilnesses and syndromes but I have been given the assusrance that none are life threatening. The doctor gave me a prescription for some tablets called THEMODELTRAINHOBBYISFUNANDASLONGASYOUENJOYITYOUWILLNOTSUFFERFROMANYOFTHESEDISEAS
ES and the tablets are in the shape of a steam locomotive. I have to take a tablet a day for the rest of my life.

I have taken my tablet and already feel better.

GET BETTER SOON!

Regards.

Johan

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 17 Feb 2007, 21:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Smugglethatlastpurchaseintothehouselateatnightsyndrome - this can cause some serious anxiety
Regards.

Johan

I must be very lucky !

The best policy with my lovely lady is the direct "look what I've just bought" when I arrive home. Usually it gets a onceover, an opinion (like/don't like the colour) & maybe, if the money should really have been spent on something else I get a minor b
& then that's that, however ;

that's nothing to the b
I'd get if something smuggled in was discovered later - & believe me she will discover it eventually.

Stange really, the lovely lady must pay far more attention than you think !

Anyone else as lucky ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Brian,

First of all let me say that the Class 50 is a real beauty and is one of the steam locomotives that will feature on our layout.

Like I mentioned in my original post it is all tongue-in-the-cheek and you now why?

Well I am married to my lovely wife Anne whom I met a few years ago at, guess where, a model train club meeting. I must be one of a few modellers worlwide who are in the very lucky and envious position to be married to a wife that has the same passion and love (sometimes even more) for this hobby than I have. A woman's perspective and viewpoints about the hobby are most of the times very refreshing. I have found on several occasions that when I have reached a deadend with an idea, that the best solution to the problem is to discuss it with Anne. It is quite something to experience a woman's logical approach to solving the problem.

I have a partner to go with me to the swopmeet, model train shop, operating sessions and National Model Train Conventions. I must say that everywhere we go Anne is warmly welcomed and accepted by the model train fraternity. Just another confirmation that the model train fanatics are a nice and warmhearted bunch of people wherever you go. Anne is also a keen photographer and being a steam locomotive addict has taken some beatifull pictures of the real thing and layouts.

Lucky me heh?

Lets hear from the other lucky guys and even from the ladies too.

As far as I am concerned this is most definately not a "Men Only" hobby.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Lets hear from the other lucky guys and even from the ladies too.
My wife is not that interested in the modeling of trains but she does like to watch them running. She is partial to foreign railways and has a particular soft spot for streamlined passenger trains. Whilst she has not yet actually bought anything, we have decided that she should stick with 16.5mm gauge since then it can run on my layout. Whilst I am firmly fixed in mid '50s west Yorkshire, I have no problem with the occasional ICE3 or Cisalpina set running through so long as I have some hidden sidings for them to "rest" in whilst I do some "proper" running.

As for getting stuff into the house, she was volunteering to act as "courier" last week. She was in a model shop and had seen Hornby's "City of Leeds". It was /my/ money she was offering to spend, but it was a kind thought none the less. I declined as I really must get the track and wiring completed before adding any more locomotives.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
You guys are lucky. Every time I mention I am going to buy a new loco, I get asked why do you need another one? You have loads already . I have to explain this in the context of shoes as I am led to beleive that women can never have enough shoes, then shes gets it!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 18 Feb 2007, 21:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You guys are lucky. Every time I mention I am going to buy a new loco, I get asked why do you need another one? You have loads already . I have to explain this in the context of shoes as I am led to beleive that women can never have enough shoes, then shes gets it!

Doe you wife know my wife ("a girl never feels fat in a new pair of shoes") then ?

However, she does sometimes say "you need another locomotive like I need another pair of shoes".

Still, it does follow that :
I buy "another loco" then that = must buy her "another pair of shoes" (fortunatly, the lovely lady does not insist on designer shoes & likes New Look). So to me it's a fair deal.

I think that my locomotives probably equal the pairs of shoes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 14 Feb 2007, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought I'd lighten things up a bit with this one. What illnesses do railway/railroad modellers suffer from?

I suffer from an inability to throw anything away (junkomania or scrapaholism?), which means that my scrapboxes (plural) take up almost as much space as the layouts.

Of course I never refer to them as scrapboxes if the wife is listening, then they are "scenic materials", "spare kit parts", "track and ballast" or "mechanical/electrical components" but all the boxes contain roughly the same ratio of unsorted bits and pieces.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts