Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off all, It's been over a month since my last post due to me studying for my university finals which are now done and dusted (at last!!!
) So I will spend a fair bit of the next few days trawling through the last months worth of posts to see what I've missed! Its good to be back in the land of the living!

Now, in July I will be traveling from New York down to Florida with my girlfriend. As yet we haven't set a route. I would like to take in a few railway orientated sites on route and visit some model shops. So, if anybody has any advice on what to see or what not to see, or good sources of information, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 2 Jun 2008, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First off all, It's been over a month since my last post due to me studying for my university finals which are now done and dusted (at last!!!
) So I will spend a fair bit of the next few days trawling through the last months worth of posts to see what I've missed! Its good to be back in the land of the living!

Now, in July I will be traveling from New York down to Florida with my girlfriend. As yet we haven't set a route. I would like to take in a few railway orientated sites on route and visit some model shops. So, if anybody has any advice on what to see or what not to see, or good sources of information, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Rob
Steamtown Scranton in Pennsyvania is a must as is the loop up through the Alleghennies, Horseshoe Curve with National Park status visitors centre and observation posts , the whole shebang exits from the Galitzen tunnels.Impressive sometimes 6 on the front a couple on the back....what a glorious sound
,makes your body quiver......mmmmmmm
Phil

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here are a few personal favourites to add:

Strasburg, Pennsylvania railroad museum: http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/ Good museum in very pleasant rural surroundings

Strasburg steam railroad: http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ Same place; well restored stock (from memory of some years ago)

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad museum: http://www.borail.org/ Excellent historic collection in a magnificent building.

I haven't yet been to the East Broad Top narrow gauge railway, but it's high on my list of 'must see' places: http://www.ebtrr.com/

There are many others, of course, but I know these are good. July? It will be VERY hot!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some good ideas there! Plenty of food for thought!

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's been years but I remember travelling through Utah to Nevada and into the Rockies into Sacramento on road and rail and what a journey. That was shortly after I finished my exams - sweet memories)

I also like the areas around Pennsylvania and travelled down the spine of the Apallacians.

Enjoy the big country (It really is).

·
Registered
67 Posts
80class

I can recommend the Railroad museum at Baltimore as Andrew already mentioned. He also suggested several others in Pennsylvania so you might want to consider spending a few days in the North East. I can add another attraction as well - the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad at (as you might guess) New Hope, PA. The website address is www.newhoperailroad.com. Travels through some pretty country (Bucks County, PA) and your significant other will enjoy the many shopping opportunities in New Hope and Lambertville NJ, which is just across the river. The railroad is one of the few I've seen over here to offer cab rides on their steam locomotive.

In addition both towns are home to micro breweries which offer periodic tours and tasting The one in New Hope is the Triumph Brewery right across the track from the station, you can have a meal outside and watch the trains while sampling their brews - what could be better??

Yes the chances are high that it will be hot in July, and will get hotter still as you head for the south. I find the humidity is worse than the heat itself

Norm

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I've added all the suggestions into the mix! We've (I've been told more like!!!) decided that we will use the train service between NYC and Washington before hiring a car for the rest of the trip that ends in Key West. This may make visiting some of the places north of Washington difficult, although I see the Baltimore museum is close to the railway so should be very possible!

Any suggestions south of Washington? Also any model shops worth visiting?

Cheers,

Rob

PS Yes Basil, we will be seeing as much of the Appalachians Mountains as possible, we have already booked a log cabin close to the Great Smokey Mountains for one night. Can't wait!

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
If you have not already done so, I suggest getting hold of a copy of Bill Bryson's "A walk in the woods" to put you in the mood for visiting the Appalachians.

I've read the book but not been any where near the actual place.

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks David, you're the second person to recommend that book so I had better check it out!

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Right....

Well after almost three months I am back to modeling! I got back from the states in August but for personal reasons wasn't able to afford any time for the hobby until this week, and to top it off I've had no internet access until today! I'll start with a brief update on the holiday...

Had a fantastic time, I would recommend anyone who is thinking about visiting the states to do so sooner rather than later due to the current exchange rates. Was lovely to be able to simply divide prices by two everywhere! Ended up spending time in New York, DC, Baltimore, Chesapeake bay, Virginia beach, outer banks, myrtle beach, great Smokey mountains, savannah, Orlando, Miami and last but not least key west. Enjoyed them all. As it was a driving holiday we only used trains twice, once to get from NYC to Baltimore and also on a scenic trip on the Great Smokey Mountains Railroad which was stunning. Visited quite a few model shops and picked up some lovely stuff, the main item being an Athearn Genesis Challenger with sound and twin smoke units fitted:

All in all it was a wonderful trip but I'm glad to be home! Will not spend forever trying to catch up on all the threads I've missed!

Rob

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to agree with Neil - that challenger really does look the business.

regards

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normally every purchase I make has been thought out over time. However, as soon as I saw this challenger I knew I wanted it. The grey stood out when I saw it in a display cabinet. Sounds very good too and with both smoke units firing at once in a minute or too the entire layout vanishes!

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 3 Oct 2008, 03:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Normally every purchase I make has been thought out over time. However, as soon as I saw this challenger I knew I wanted it. The grey stood out when I saw it in a display cabinet. Sounds very good too and with both smoke units firing at once in a minute or too the entire layout vanishes!

Rob
I know what you mean, I want one too.

I also know what you mean about the smoke. I have a Trix Big Boy which has two smoke units and it looks good with both going at once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.