Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Many ESU ECoS users have been surprised by the sudden replacement of the 50100 Mobile Control for ECoS with the new Radiocontrol. Here is what ESU have to say on the matter. If I am reading t6his correctly it says that if you purchased you Mobile control between 1/1/08 and 8/2/08 and have a receipt dated for this period you may choose to exchange the 50100 for the new RadioControl. Details below and on the ECoS forum. Better be wuick as it the offer seems to end on 7/3/08 if you choose the new one!

Hello forum participants,

I would like to issue around the radio ECoSControl few things clear. The discussion in recent days was u.E. Is not always fair and objective and bedüften the commentary. Firstly, the technical distinction:

51100 mobile control has been in place since 2004, and was originally scheduled for 6021 or X-bus systems only.

Mobile control 50100 2007 has been announced for operation with the ECoS.

For 51100, we also offer free (!) An update to make it with a ECoS can be operated.

It is now the case that ESU in Nuremberg, the successor to the 50100, the ECoSControl radio, has announced. This step was necessary because the 50100 used in the wireless chip has been discontinued, and the 433 MHz radio technology also is not used internationally.
From now new technology with 2.4 GHz shows that not a 50100 together with the ECoSControl radio can be operated, as we zulassungs technical reasons, a receiver module to be installed in the ECoSlot use.
It is true that the 50100 thus relatively soon after the publication of an article outlet ends. However, we still have some time to develop hand controller of the system can offer. From "Rip-off update" can be no question here. The MC 50100 works as announced at the ECoS.
It remains, in our view, noted:

We will in the next few days an update software, which is a 51100 back to the original state. Whether you carry and what benefits it has for you, like everyone decide for himself.

Each customer, between 01.01.2008 and 08.02.2008 a 50100 mobile control for ECoS acquired (date of the purchase receipt!), And this later than 07.03.2008 completely - along with the proof of purchase - an ESU broadcasts, we immediately after a ECoSControl radio show. Thus, each decide whether to wait on ECoSControl radio or mobile control wishes to remain.

The 50100 software for mobile control, we will continue to maintain some degree.

I hope that all the issues relating to radio and mobile ECoSControl control to have answered. Otherwise, I would ask all participants forums, in case of doubt, "cool" to preserve and to be seen. We have always been customer-solutions and will do so in the future.

As Google translations are a bit inaccurate I have included the original German below for those who speak German.

Hallo Forenteilnehmer,

ich möchte zur Thematik rund um das ECoSControl Radio einige Dinge klarstellen. Die Diskussion in den letzten Tagen war u.E. nicht immer fair und sachlich und bedüften der Kommentierung. Zunächst einmal zur technischen Unterscheidung:

mobile control 51100 gibt es seit 2004, und war ursprünglich für 6021 oder X-Bus Systeme gedacht.

mobile control 50100 wurde 2007 angekündigt, für den Betrieb mit der ECoS.

Für 51100 bieten wir darüber hinaus kostenfrei (!) ein Update an, damit es mit einer ECoS betrieben werden kann.

Es ist nun so, dass ESU in Nürnberg den Nachfolger des 50100, das ECoSControl Radio, angekündigt hat. Dieser Schritt wurde nötig, weil der im 50100 verwendete Funkchip abgekündigt wurde und die 433 MHz Funktechnik zudem nicht international verwendbar ist.
Aus der nun neuen Technik mit 2.4 GHz ergibt sich, dass ein 50100 nicht gemeinsam mit dem ECoSControl Radio betrieben werden kann, da wir aus zulassungstechnischen Gründen ein Empfängermodul zum Einbau in den ECoSlot verwenden werden.
Es ist richtig, dass das 50100 somit relativ bald nach Erscheinen zu einem Auslaufenden Artikel wird. Jedoch werden wir noch einige Zeit Handregler zum Ausbau des Systems anbieten können. Von "Abzocke" kann also hier keine Rede sein. Das MC 50100 funktioniert wie angekündigt an der ECoS.
Es bleibt aus unserer Sicht festzuhalten:

Wir werden in den nächsten Tagen eine Update-Software anbieten, mit dem man ein 51100 wieder in den ursprünglichen Zustand versetzen kann. Ob Sie dies durchführen und welchen Nutzen dies für Sie hat, mag jeder selber entscheiden.

Jeder Kunde, der zwischen dem 01.01.2008 und dem 08.02.2008 ein 50100 mobile control für ECoS erworben hat (Datum des Kaufbelegs!), und dieses bis spätestens 07.03.2008 vollständig - zusammen mit dem Kaufbeleg - an ESU sendet, wird von uns direkt nach dem Erscheinen ein ECoSControl Radio erhalten. Somit kann jeder entscheiden, ob er auf ECoSControl Radio warten oder beim mobile control bleiben möchte.

Auch die Software für 50100 mobile control werden wir im gewissen Umfang weiter pflegen.

Ich hoffe, damit alle Fragen rund um ECoSControl Radio und mobile control beantwortet zu haben. Ansonsten bitte ich alle Forenteilnehmer, im Zweifelsfall "ruhig Blut" zu bewahren und abzuwarten. Wir haben bisher stets kundenfreundliche Lösungen gefunden und werden dies auch in Zukunft tun.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I think you got it about right. It sounds like ESU are taking a lot of flak from their users for what is perceived as a very sudden change in direction.

There seem to be two issues here:-

1) ESU can't get the parts to make the original control any more.

2) The old and new controllers cannot be made to work together on the ECoS.

I don't think they had much alternative to the decision they took. It appears that if you prefer the original control and plan to have more than one, you had better stock up now.

Thanks for posting this Neil.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 29 Feb 2008, 09:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you got it about right. It sounds like ESU are taking a lot of flak from their users for what is perceived as a very sudden change in direction.

There seem to be two issues here:-

1) ESU can't get the parts to make the original control any more.

2) The old and new controllers cannot be made to work together on the ECoS.

I don't think they had much alternative to the decision they took. It appears that if you prefer the original control and plan to have more than one, you had better stock up now.

Thanks for posting this Neil.

David
That was my take on things. I prefer the Mobile Control so I will keep that. Not to keen on the two handed games consol type controller.

Thought I had better make this known as there is only a week left for those who fancy the new version.

·
Registered
266 Posts
[q

We will in the next few days an update software, which is a 51100 back to the original state. Whether you carry and what benefits it has for you, like everyone decide for himself.

Hi Neil, I take then that 50100 will be be able to be restored back to 51100.
Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (iansa @ 29 Feb 2008, 10:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[q

Ian sa

Hi Ian,

my take on it was that if you had a 51100 and had converted it with the software update to operate with ECoS, this software update would convert it back top a regular 51100. The 51100 comes with a base staion and can be used independantly with other systems whereas the 50100 does not. It can only be used with ECoS. So for that reason I do not think that it would be worth reconverting a 50100 but then again I suppose it could be used with another base station.

I'll see if I can find out more when it comes out.

Neil

Are you thinking about this new Radiocontrol Ian?

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 28 Feb 2008, 22:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That was my take on things. I prefer the Mobile Control so I will keep that. Not to keen on the two handed games consol type controller.
Yes it's a shame they went for a joystick rather than the roller, The larger screen is a bonus but It would be nice to see something like the mobile control sold as a running controller where you just want to run a train rather than needing access to all those settings on screen. With a base station like the ECOS for more complicated function setting all you really need on the mobile is loco address, consist selection and function buttons.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 29 Feb 2008, 18:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes it's a shame they went for a joystick rather than the roller, The larger screen is a bonus but It would be nice to see something like the mobile control sold as a running controller where you just want to run a train rather than needing access to all those settings on screen. With a base station like the ECOS for more complicated function setting all you really need on the mobile is loco address, consist selection and function buttons.
That's pretty much what the current Mobile Control does although it switches points too. The roller gives you excellent slow speed control which I do not think the toggle switch willl replicate as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 29 Feb 2008, 01:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ian,

my take on it was that if you had a 51100 and had converted it with the software update to operate with ECoS, this software update would convert it back top a regular 51100. The 51100 comes with a base staion and can be used independantly with other systems whereas the 50100 does not. It can only be used with ECoS. So for that reason I do not think that it would be worth reconverting a 50100 but then again I suppose it could be used with another base station.

I'll see if I can find out more when it comes out.

Neil

Are you thinking about this new Radiocontrol Ian?

Hi Neil, I have had 51100 with two hand helds since 2004 operating with my Lenz. Then thru Lenz connected to sniffer of Ecos when I got Ecos in Nov06. Alll worked great except every now and then the Mobile control would wipe the expressnett of Lenz out. Disconnect Mobile base and expressnett would come back on line.
When new firmware 50100 was released I updated my 51100 to op with ECOS. It is working great except for the lag when op functions( mainly horn) takes a bit of getting used to.
To be quite honest, if the reverse firmware takes out the glitch between the 51100 and Lenz expressnett I might consider going back to 51100 and operating thru Lenz and sniffer port of ECOS. The 51100 had a few more options and no function lag at all.

Am I thinking of new radio control? Not at the moment but I would never say never.

Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ian,

the lag isn't good but I can deal with it. I would have thought that the new RadioControl would be the same though. I had hoped they would have been compatible as I may then have got one of the new RadioControls.

I would ask a few questions before doing the reverse software update as it may just put you back exactly where you were before.

cheers

Neil

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 1 Mar 2008, 01:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ian,

the lag isn't good but I can deal with it. I would have thought that the new RadioControl would be the same though. I had hoped they would have been compatible as I may then have got one of the new RadioControls.

I would ask a few questions before doing the reverse software update as it may just put you back exactly where you were before.

cheers

Neil

Absolutely agree Neil, the lag I can deal with. I would not go back to 51100 if I was not sure the original glitch was gone.
I must admit, the access to 20 functions is nice in 50100. v51100 only had access to 10.

It is a shame the new radio control is not compatible but if what ESU say is true( I have no reason to doubt) they had no choice.

Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Ian, I don't believe they would have had a choice. Nocompany markets a new product for a couple of months then changes it voluntarily. Interesting they changed the body format though. That must have been planned for some point in the future.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (iansa @ 29 Feb 2008, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[q

Ian sa

Has this been confirmed yet?

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts