Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Re acid fluxes - it's not only these which need to be kept away from electrical joints.

My first job was with Plessey making small inductances and other wire-wound components - there was a complete ban on all fruit and even fruit-juice drinks being taken onto the production floor because of their acidity and the risk of getting them in a component causing premature failure!

Brian is quite right about having a soldering iron with the right temperature and capacity. I use a 60 Watt Weller with changeable temperature-controlled bits. This makes easy work of small to large joints, the right-sized bit being selected.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
MMD - apologies for the reminicences - it's one of those things I had never come across in school or college but was faced with in my first-ever job.

I have to say that you will need flux for soldering to steel, but if you are soldering a copper wire to it any trace of flux should be removed once the job is done. (Unless the flux maker says you don't have to.) I'm a bit intrigued about this steel element - what is it for?

Regards,
John Webb

PS for Free at Last's information I was at Vicarage Lane, Ilford, Essex from 1967-69.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.