Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
what sound decoder ?
you can either use a cam which is a thin etch with a pick-up or use DDE (Dynamic Digital Exhaust) this is normally set-up in Cv 51- Cv 56 on soundtraxx decoders.
If you visit the Soundtraxx site you can download their manual which gives more detail. If you use Soundtraxx I'll post you my settings off list only.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Impeding sound waves ?, I've installed in closed tender with no holes and the sound remains excellent, size of speaker, the bigger the better. A deep enclosure
is also the key to good resonance. Why don't you simply raise the roof to accommodate your sound decoder. You could disguise the loco as a double decker bus. The first sound decoders I installed were ESU decoders and I was hard pressed to fit them inside the body of a west Country with a speaker. Then I crumbed one in the tender of a Princess, but to me the trailing wires and routing them into the loco are always a problem. Of course today we have micro plugs and decoders have shrunk. Some but not all of them. I have sound in the crowded tender of a Q1, I attempted the Fowler tank but failed even with a tiny 1/2" speaker sound decoders remain large at present but it's the new frontier - for some. I'm currently installing Soundtraxx with excellent results

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.