Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bradley McMullan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
im using very soft insulation board as my base board...
i want to raise the main line up and over what will be a canal underbridge...
is the best way to do this,take a cut into the board,and raise it,supporting underneath??
cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes.

Start with a very little gradient then build up to your ruling gradient then when near the top reduce the gradient slowly back to level. Nice & smooth transitions from level to gradient & back to level.

Chris

·
Registered
536 Posts
Softboard. Oh dear

One of the main disadvantages of this material is that it will sag almost as as soon as you've finished tacking it down!

I would recommend that you brace the underside of your slope/s with something a bit more solid such as timber longitudinal supports

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unless you have the softboard on ply you will have nothing but trouble as its temperature and humidity prone so will sag, warp and generally move with the weather. I used it once as I could get large off cuts for free, big mistake, although I had supports at 6inch centres within two to three months had to rip all the track up and relay due to constant de-railments. Used MDF 10mm thick with 3mm cork to get same levels on baseboards that had been made from 9mm ply with 4mm cork, 10 years latter still as good as when first laid.

Hope you have not gone too far with your project.

regards

mike g

·
Bradley McMullan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for replies folks...
i have gone very far with the project haha!..
i have found SOME warping of the board under heat in garage loft and worried about this but it doesnt seem to have gone much further...
oh well,i can try my best i guess using the advice above about supports at reg intervals..
cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts