Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,

I am in the planning stage of my new layout. It will be HO-scale DB ( Deutsche Bundesbahn) late Epoche IV and present Epoche V. The available space will be approx 10m x 7 m = 70 sq m. The layout will be operated by DCC. Traction will be electric and diesel locomotives and also some steam from the preservation group.

The layout will include urban, industrial and landscape scenes. In one or more of the industrial scenes I would like to include a typical canal harbour with some canal boats. I have come across a few websites with information on the subject but they are all about the massive inland ports in Germany. That kind of size will be difficult to model in any scale. What I am basically looking at is a canal harbour found in the smaller cities/towns with facilities to load/off load bulk goods (coal, lime, gravel etc), containers and other freight associated with the railways.

I would appreciate if any of the members could assist me with any information or suggestions on the subject. I already have some info on the models for a canal harbour scene but more on this will also be appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Johan

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Shame it wasn't small fishing village harbours in Scotland as I'm your man if it was. I will see what I can find out for you and report back. This would be a good basis for a layout. I always like to include a harbour and/ or river scene

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Mar 2007, 10:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This would be a good basis for a layout. I always like to include a harbour and/ or river scene

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes I agree with your sentiments about harbour/river scenes. It has a certain mystique about it. A bigger scene can be modelled around the harbour scene with the harbour as the starting point.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Waterways are another interest of mine, but only the UK sort, so I regret that I cannot help very much.

You comment on the size of Continental ports - boats on European waterways are of considerable size compared to most British canals. They will be of at least 1000 tonnes (French 'Pinneche') size and on the Rhine and other large rivers may be much bigger. So you need to look perhaps at a "small" canal branch or something similar which may not be able to take the larger boats.

'Waterways World' and other British waterways mags often have articles about the continental waterways. If you can get hold of these in your part of the world they may at least point you in the direction of other sources of information.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I've started a new album in my gallery for standard gauge Swiss railways. The first photo is of the lake stream pier at Interlaken West. This is where the paddle steamer in the photo Doug has quoted is heading. I think this link will take you there.

If you're looking for further inspiration, I posted a couple of model harbour shots from last years Railex 2006 in my blog. I believe the S scale model won a prize at the exhibition.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's actually quite hard to find anything on small canal ports. Most of what I can see is large ports like Dortmund or Hamburg.

I was quite inspired by Davids steamer picture and am trying to figure out how I can stick a boat like this in my new layout.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having traveled extensively in Germany I can't actually remember seeing anything like our narrowboat canals. The major canals (Dortmund - Ems, Mitteland etc) link the major rivers where the large barges ply.

Ross

1 - 11 of 11 Posts