Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been building up a DCC layout based upon Digitrax Super Chief Control and have converted a range of modern locomotive to DCC.

Over the weekend I was given a new Horby R2464 GWR 2-8-0 locomotive. On checking the latest Hornby catologue it states specifically that this locomotive is not suitable for use with DCC. (This appears to be the only locomotive in the range specified as being unsuitable for DCC).

The locomotive has a smoke generator and glowing fire box when in motion and has a Ringfield tender drive.

Has any one any experience of converting this loco to DCC, is the problem due to the smoke generator and or the glowing fire box.

Is it possible to isolate either of these items and then convert to DCC.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The answer is yes Dave. Install as you normally would for a tender drive. Snip the wires to the smoke unit and the firebox glow in the loco. It's particularly difficult to remove the smoke unit in this loco, and unless you want trailing wires between the loco and the tender the fire box glow is hardly worth bothering with. Plan B would be to install a decoder in the tender (TCS M1 is well suited to your Digitrax set up) Then install a cheap decoder in the loco to work the smoke unit .

The smoke unit will require a resistor to reduce voltage down a wee bit, (10 volts) run your Digitrax on the N gauge setting which will give you 12.2 volts. This is a little too high for the smoke unit, particularity if you forget to turn it off. (F0) It's simply then a question of white and blue wires to one pole and the blue (live to the other. The resistor should be fitted on the live side please use shrink tube. Remember to turn off the smoke unit when not in use or it might damage the loco body.

I can't remember the bulb fitted in the smoke box that would be around 12 volts so that would work quite nicely without modification. IE 12 volts in 12 volts out.
Again it would be better to use a resistor and get the voltage down a wee bit around 8 -9 volts would be ideal. I'm not sure if the bulb will function for a long time on AC try it, their cheap to buy and at worst you could run it through an other decoder function if you have one - not normally on cheap decoders.

You would program both decoders with the same number IE CV1 but only use the function wires on the second decoder. The firebox glow could go directly to the pick-ups as you want that on normally.

As these loco's can be such abysmal runners you might not want to go to this expense then just install the M1 in the tender. If you want to know how have a look at Bromsgrove Models web site I'm sure John has an example in his installation page. If not ask here.

I would like to welcome you to the forum - The number of Digitrax users is growing -

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE I would like to welcome you to the forum - The number of Digitrax users is growing

We should form a Digitrax owners club.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hey guys

We know MMaD loves his Hornby Digital and has put a lot of time and effort into setting up a Hornby Digital Yahoo group however we know where the true love lies and surely it would be far more rewarding if the energies were spent with the true love.

Why bother spending so much time on the Hornby Digital Yahoo user group which provides Hornby with even more promotion when they are already massively promoted on every website and in the press when you could be spending the time promoting a Digitrax UK Yahoo user group?

Think about it. Hornby Digital can only get better from here and how are you going to feel running a user group for a successful product and a Digitrax competitor?

Forums are an ongoing commitment and you cannot let an expanding membership down by suddenly closing up shop.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS off topic I know but the subject has been aired here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your assistance, I will take the simple way and remove the two gimmicks. I had avoided purchasing any tender driven loco, but couldn't refuse such a generous gift.

I found two conversions of tender drives on the Bromsgrove site, will have to open up the tender and loco and see what is required, thanks again.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE We know MMaD loves his Hornby Digital and has put a lot of time and effort into setting up a Hornby Digital Yahoo group however we know where the true love lies and surely it would be far more rewarding if the energies were spent with the true love.

Why bother spending so much time on the Hornby Digital Yahoo user group which provides Hornby with even more promotion when they are already massively promoted on every website and in the press when you could be spending the time promoting a Digitrax UK Yahoo user group?

Think about it. Hornby Digital can only get better from here and how are you going to feel running a user group for a successful product and a Digitrax competitor?

Nice to see you back Gary - one small tip stay off those pills their clouding your vision of things. When Hornby digital is compatible with all makes of Decoder, and compliant with the NMRA standards instead of being an independent system that tries to pass it's self as sort of DCC then I'll take notice. Hornby have only achieved sales because of a traditional reputation. It's a sort of Land Rover of the model railway industry. When users try other systems they will be able to see for themselves what they have been missing. At it's most basic level the elite can't interface with any other makes of auto reversing unit. Yes it may suit table top users, I believe that is it's principle market. For your information Gary I have zero to do with the Yahoo group you mention, I have better things to do with my time. Now be a good boy and behave yourself.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Hornby Digital can only get better from here

Well if land locked Switzerland can win the Admiral's cup (full details here) then I guess anything is possible if you have enough cash...

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts