Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

I normally use feed the toe of a point with power from the bus use isolating joiners on all four lines coming out of the frog and add four droppers after the isulating joiners.

If i leave a gap between the end of the frog and the following lines would this be sufficient to isolate the point rather then use isolating joiners still wiring as above ? the HO joiners are a little obtrusive if it would work this way i would prefer it.

Many thanks

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Yes it would. BUT....

a) I didn't bother isolating the two "outside" rails as it is only the inside ones that you are actually needing to isolate when switching common crossing or "frog" polarity.

On my last layout I filled the slight gap that I had created with "thick epoxy" and rubbed some wet and dry emery over it to remove any blobbiness and create a smooth transition between the rails. I found that after weathering the sides of the track etc that the gap had basically vanished to the untrained eye.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Wot LF said :)

I have always used a gap as I really hate the look of insulated joiners - (In fact I use no joiners at all anywhere on the layout with my BS95R bullhead rail)

As Paul said, its easy enough to fill the gap - you can also use a thin strip of styrene glued in and filed if epoxy oes not appeal...

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Paul/Richard,

Many thanks for your replies i though it would work but wanted to check ....... i will try epoxy and the plastic strip method of filling on some scraps of track to see which i prefer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use Tillig joiners. Being brown they disappear fairly well in the brown ballast. Being nylon they don't take paint very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts