Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi all,

I have seen a method to rid of insulating joiners and wondered if anyone had tried it at all, once the track is laid and tested for insulation correctly a piece of plasticard cut oversize is slotted between the gap and superglued in with a sleeper underneath to give it more of an adhesion point.
shaped and filed to conform to the rail profile it can then be painted to match in with the rails either side if weathering them, as insulating joiners do not take paint well it seems an advantage from this point alone.

Any thoughts on this method or experiences

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Used to do it that way, too much work. I now use a tough filler (milliput is my choice) which can be shaped to profile immediately and is self adhesive and 'rust coloured' : and the job is done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another way is to use araldite rapid to fill an angled gap cut across a sleeper at the chair position, thus helping to keep the rails in place, but you have to be careful to keep some expansion gaps fairly close to the joint or it can snap.

regards

mike g

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both ideas have given me more food for thought, i had forgotten about milliput although have never used the terracotta type sounds a good bet, many thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts