Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a really erie spooky experience today.
Although i am still in the construction stage of my model, i have completed some small areas, one such was a small field under a viaduct, which had the added feature of 4 horses.
This morning all 4 horses have gone!
nothing else has moved, the sheep are still there, the various people are still around the model, but all 4 horses have disappeared!
close examination reveals some mouse droppings,
any rodent experts know if a mouse would selectively take just the 4 horses?
This is wierd.
I should perhaps add that my model is in a converted garage, not the house. and that the field is bounded by track on two sides both of which had rolling stock on them which was not disturbed.
Finally No! I am not having a 'senior moment' and I did not move them myself!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Maybe they where french mice? they like horse meat, or maybe they thought they where baby mice? put another there to see if that goes too, good luck

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Different rodent, but squirrels show quite a tendency to chew some plastics. They went after flexible track base, which dissuaded me from having my OO outside.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
All rodents will use semi-firm or firm materials such as plastic and wood to chew on to help keep their teeth sharp and short. The need something they can get their teeth round/onto, hence they will keep off the larger objects, such as coaches, and go for the smaller items. If too small it doesn't offer enough resistance so they are unlikely to chew it.

My local church suffers from squirrels in the roof space - I had to put in a quantity of plastic ducting and conduit to protect the electric cables feeding lights after a number of sections of cable were chewed several years ago. The trunking and conduit are too large for them to bite easily.

Best bet is to ensure they cannot get in. You may have to set traps if they persist.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
264 Posts
Perhaps as 34c says, it was a squirrell, and it took the brown colouring of the horses for NUTS.

Failing that, and it was a mouse, perhaps it liked the smell of the brown paint. !!!

Alanb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I forgot to say that you can safely trap mice; if squirrels are involved they can only be trapped and disposed of by those who hold a licence to do so. There is nothing to stop you shooting squirrels on your own property.
Local council or county council usually have pest control departments who can assist in the removal of these little tear-aways.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
436 Posts
I expect the four 'mouseketeers' needed transport!

If you're going to trap them peanut butter works a treat.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I also have my layout in the garage and used to have mice and rats getting in there. I "sealed" the garage to prevent them getting access as I didn't want the problems you are now getting. It is worth trying to prevent them getting access as they will chew through all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the views,
The garage is ( I thought) sealed, with new roof and insulated walls, although there is a small gap under the door.
Definately not a squirrel, the space between all the clutter and rubbish would not accomadate a rodent that big without disturbing something,
Almost certainly a little mouse, as i said he (she?) left a couple of little calling cards! but I don't think we should get into the debate about the correct scale of mouse poo in OO
A Station cat initially seemed a good idea, but as someone who watched a lot of Tom and Jerry cartoon the ensueing carnage to the model didn't bear thinging about !
I have placed another horse in said field and am checking daily,
and as nothing else seems to have been chewed or damaged then i am loathed to kill my little visitor.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 26 Nov 2007, 12:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A Station cat initially seemed a good idea, but as someone who watched a lot of Tom and Jerry cartoon the ensueing carnage to the model didn't bear thinging about !

Being the proud{?) owner of a station(ary) cat, I can advise that there is another problem that the cat itself can bring. This is that they tend to find layouts under construction a damn fine place t o sleep.

Regards

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 26 Nov 2007, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The garage is ( I thought) sealed, with new roof and insulated walls, although there is a small gap under the door.

Yes. Mice can stretch to an amazing degree.
My boy has pet mice and we had a wild one visit. When it saw me it was through the cage wires as if they weren't there!

We finally cornered it and he had his first kill. (I hope this doesn't offend anyone)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts