Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE There also does not seem to have been any plans to cover steam
I asked Bachmann about sound for steam last weekend; they have a steam project in the works.

I also spoke to SWD. As Piemanlarger has already mentioned, there is a range of 2-6-0s in the works and a Jubilee.

Things are looking up for us steam only guys.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE Thats presuming the thing does not fail!
I've been close to that situation twice on the two mainline steam trips I've had in the last 12 months. Last year the day before our trip, Union of South Africa failed its pretrip inspection with the result that the day's trip was cancelled and 6024 King Edward I was brought in as substitute for the Sunday run. That was the same Sunday that Coast did their filming, so for whatever reason, a King was filmed and an A4 was not.

Last weekend, we passed Duke of Gloucester sidelined at Penrith. The society's report on the Duke's misfortune can be read here.

It seems to me that the most distinctive part of a steam locomotives sound are the whistle and the number of beats. A lot of the rest could be generic.

If it could be done for a small price, how about a steam whistle sound? It would still need to be appropriate to the loco - GWR, LMS, Chime or whatever - but at least you could get some sound when waiting for a signal to be pulled off, or indicating that a shunting movement has been completed.

QUOTE Wouldn't it be nice if you could slide out a cast block from the chassis and drop in a decoder and speaker
Mr. Bachmann told me all their diesel chassis were engineered for 20 x 40mm speakers. I asked him to do it with loco tenders.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE Why not mount the biggest speaker you can in the smokebox and port out through the chimney
I don't believe that you could get anything worthwhile into the smokebox. You just won't get the bass for a decent chuff. I have wondered about using a high pass filter so that the whistle sounds come from the boiler area but there are probably enough wires involved already to make that a non starter.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE We all talk about SWD and the "quality" prototypical sounds they have. Well I beg to differ.

You have the advantage of us in having heard both. If it's a choice of SWD or nothing, I know which I would take.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE seriously annoy the railways neighbours + the LNER CME as the smoking is excessive and the maintenance bills would be up.

My understanding is that efficiency and lowering costs were the prime considerations of all Gresley's steam developments.

QUOTE the whole nature of the beat stops being directly chuff related and is a softer purring that is very subtle and not at all what most expect, as they've not really heard it in the flesh that way...

The impression I have, from my recent preserved line visit, is that once an A4 is underway and up to a reasonable speed it starts to sound more turbine like. At least that's how Bittern sounded on the Watercress line and this is when it was climbing. The harshest chuffs I heard that day were from the GWR pair leaving Alresford.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.