Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am about to purchase a NCE powercab, and hopefully buy a bachmann class 20 sound, but is it worth the plunge?

If so is is it better to buy a bachmann sound 20, or buy a howes chip for my current class 20??

Also, Is sound worth it, is it something you stick to, not something your likely to get borred with.

It will be used on a 8ft shunting layout, and depending how things go i would also like to chip a 108, and 08.

I'd just like to know your views on sound, and answers to my questions if pos

Thanks in advance

Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Josh

I would take the plunge, the Bachmann class 20 with sound is superb. You can then decide if you want more sound equipped loco's on your layout. Enjoy your new Powercab.

Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shall, will hopefully have the powercab before christmass then the sound class 20 sometime after

anyone know what the 08 or 108 sound i like?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think that you can go wrong by using DCC. Its advantages with ease of use (admittedly some people struggle with set up) far out way the DC block system.

Sound is a vexed question. As modellers we are somewhat focused on locomotive sounds, which is a very one-dimensional view. Sound is all around us and we should also look at ambient sound in the scene to really enhance the overall viewing experience.

Volume plays a big part as well. When you get your first locomotive, the temptation is to have it at full volume, but as more and more sound locomotives are purchased this very quickly wears off and volumes come down. My sound locomotives are set at 25% of their maximum volume.

Given the choice of buying the same locomotive with and without sound, it is cheaper to buy a sound equipped one now, rather than having to retrofit it later.

In my case, I regularly run my layout with the locomotives having the sound turned off when I am there on my own. When others are there the sound is turned on.

John

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTE Sound is a vexed question. As modellers we are somewhat focused on locomotive sounds, which is a very one-dimensional view. Sound is all around us and we should also look at ambient sound in the scene to really enhance the overall viewing experience.
A very good point. I too have a small shunting layout and am looking forward to getting the right sounds for the foundry, wagon works etc as well as the locos. Any tips welcome!

Sound Must be one of the major reasons for using DCC. The price remains a problem though and I doubt whether I will be able to put sound on my main layout and numerous locos until the price becomes more realistic in the UK.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Joshy,
Welcome to the forum

A very wise decision the NCE powercab ... enjoy

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Bachmann class 20 sounds have received mixed reviews. However, as said earlier, it is better value than buying the separate sound decoder on its own. If you don't like the Bachmann sounds then you can remove the decoder and send it to the commercial concerns (Howes / SWD / DCC Concepts, etc.) for "reblowing" at a smaller cost. Even if you add up the costs of locomotive plus separate decoder, it still works out cheaper to buy the ready to run sound locomotive and have other sounds put on it.

Funnily enough, Neil S Wood, DougN and I were just talking about this yeserday in the car on the way to a BRMA meeting.

Sound is very much a personal preference - some sounds please some people and not others.

Personaly I'm with Neil S Wood - sound adds a whole new dimension to our models and the added enjoyment of "driving" the locomotives, so yes, it is worth it, in my opinion.

Also, I think you will be happy with the choice of NCE - I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow
thanks for all the replys,

The conrollers narrowed down to a NCE and a Dynamis with a £2 difference in price, so i hope I've chose the right one.

Something I've read on anoher thread is that it's possible to set the 20 to shunting mode?

Would any body be possibly able to elaborate on this and how to do it.

Also off the subject is there a button somewhere you can click to find your posts?

Thanks again

josh

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Josh. Personally i would not go for the bachmann class 20 as a first loco. The high pitched whine is very annoying after just a few minutes. The Swd class 20 has less whine and for me is far better, despite being nearly the same project (SWD produce the sound projects for bachman)

No 1 choice for most class 20 users is the howes version.

If you search u tube you will find lots of clips of sound chipped locos that give you a reasonable idea of what things sound like. Start with mine (piemanlarger) if you like as you will find a mix there.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE Also off the subject is there a button somewhere you can click to find your posts? QUOTE

Hi Joshy,

If you mean individual members posts run your cursor over the members name on any post it will highlight it ..... on the right of the members name theres an arrow click that and it gives you the option to see the persons posts, hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
In some ways, I see sound as a bit of a gimmick - yes,when available for the locos that will run on your layout & are realistic & improve the operation of the layout -go for it but if the layout that you want such as a small shunting plank using small 0-6-0 tank locos, then fitting sound into them maybe a a big problem.
The questions you have to ask yourself is: Is my layout to operate in the time period I am interested in & can sound be fitted or do I want to purchase locos that have sound & design my layout & time period around those locos?

I am yet to be convinced that sound improves operation - by that I mean running to timetables & shunting goods wagons to a system.

That said, I do have a Bachmann Class 24 with sound - OK to show off to visitors but by myself, no sound is used.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Sound does indeed add another dimention - more cost effective to buy locomotives ready fitted, if the sound is OK for you "as is".

You can always turn it off for the odd times you don't want to hear it.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 14 Dec 2008, 20:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In some ways, I see sound as a bit of a gimmick - yes,when available for the locos that will run on your layout & are realistic & improve the operation of the layout -go for it but if the layout that you want such as a small shunting plank using small 0-6-0 tank locos, then fitting sound into them maybe a a big problem.
The questions you have to ask yourself is: Is my layout to operate in the time period I am interested in & can sound be fitted or do I want to purchase locos that have sound & design my layout & time period around those locos?

I am yet to be convinced that sound improves operation - by that I mean running to timetables & shunting goods wagons to a system.

That said, I do have a Bachmann Class 24 with sound - OK to show off to visitors but by myself, no sound is used.

***Sol, if you actually drive your loco's like they should be (vs simply running from one place to another) then its worth it - proper use of the loco and its functions can create sounds appropriate to the loco under the conditions / load its hauling etc.... and much more. YOu also need to have reasonably high momentum so the "mass" of the train is properly represented for the sound to work well...

You just haven't had a REAL sound equipped loco yet... the RTR "already installed" ones aren't the top of the heap. There's a good reason why aftermarket sound sells well!

Richard

·
Registered
166 Posts
1. You will not regret either the NCE or going for sound.

2. The Bachmann Class 20 sound has had poor reviews.

3. The Howes Class 108 sound is truly superb and includes little extras like doors closing, guards whistle, guards bell to driver and clicky click for rail joints! So if you have the choice on the sound take the Howes option.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Josh, I have an 08 with sound (SWD) and it is very good, but for shunting I have to turn the sound off as the start and brake delays make shunting a long and tedius business, but for running from my terminus to the fiddle yard it is great to have to drive the loco as you would the real thing, I've hit the buffers a fair few times as the braking distance has been hard to get used to.

I have yet to get any steam sounds but that is the next step with a 0-6-0 tank for the morning freight and return workmans special.

well worth the money, but I think that the factory fitted units do not sound quite right, have only utube to judge but at exhibitions the retro fitted always sound better, just my opinion.

regards

mike g

·
Registered
999 Posts
I bought my first sound decoder at Warley (ESU Loksound with SWD GWR 2 cyl sound files, and have fitted it to a Bachmann Pannier. It sounds excellent to me, but I'm not a GWR buff and saw very few steam locos in service prior to their withdrawal, well you don't on ther Underground apart from thre occasional loco on the GC line at Harrow-on-the Hill.

It was very expensive at £89, more expensive than the loco into which it went, but it does add considerably to the enjoyment of running a loco.

Whether the novelty will wear off I don't know. Possibly, but only time will tell.

Anyone know what sound files you need to create a full project for an EMU? I know it depends on the particular EMU, but it would be good to put together sounds for London Transport tube & sub-surface stock. The biggest problem will be where to put the loudspeaker, or should that be speakers?

Keith.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As far as I can see sound adds an extra dimension to traction depot and shunting layouts where the locos move around slowly and are probably the main source of noise on the real thing. This seems to be the main use of sound on exhibition layouts at present.

However for "main line" operation there seem to me to be two problems. One is the noise made by the train itself, which at higher speeds will soon drown out the loco as a train passes a lineside listener. The other is the lack of a realistic Doppler effect.

I guess train noises could be simulated by putting sound chips into the rolling stock, not aware of anybody doing this but maybe someone on here knows better? However Doppler is more problematic as is depends on the position of the observer as well as the speed of the train relative to the speed of sound (which doesn't scale). To simulate this accurately for listeners at normal viewing distances, you'd have to give each one headphones and a position-location system and use a powerful computer to generate personalised sounds.

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 14 Dec 2008, 18:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However for "main line" operation there seem to me to be two problems. One is the noise made by the train itself, which at higher speeds will soon drown out the loco as a train passes a lineside listener. The other is the lack of a realistic Doppler effect.

I dont suffer with sound being drowned out on tailchaser
and at out recent open day it was very well recieved. The loco sound increases as the engine draws nearer and then decreases nicley when passed.

The american models thats first got me into sound have the dopple effect. I dont like it in model form for some reason, just seemed as if something was wrong about it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts