Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a hunt around, and part kits in resin seem to be all that is available. Ideally looking for something little longer than a BR standard brake van... Any suggestions - especially from direct experience of building such - very welcome.

The Dapol RTR O Stroudley vehicles look lovely in prospect but it seems have been 'imminent' for rather a long time. Since I don't follow O happenings and events, if this is a misperception feel free to correct me...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
@34C,
If you want 7mm scale 4 wheel coaches, there is the Slaters GWR coaches:

Slater's Plastikard - GWR 4 Wheeled 3rd-Class Coach (Diagram S9)

More here: Slater's Plastikard - Gauge O Coach Kits

There's also 6 wheel midland coaches.

When 7mm scale was still in its infancy (prior to all the RTR stuff we have today), everyone's first venture into the scale was with these 4 wheel kits.
I never built them myself as I am not a fan of 4 wheel coaches, but I saw many fellow modellers build them and I have built many other Slaters 7mm scale kits. Here's a couple (I've built several of both of these):

Building the Slaters BR Standard Van
Building the Slaters Cattle Van Kit

As kits go, they have lots of parts and are more complex than Parkside, so I would suggest that they are probably not for the beginner, but for a seasoned modeller, they are fine and make up into very nice models.

Obviously, different people have different views on this, but I personally can't see much point in 4 wheel coaches in 7mm scale. The argument has always been 'well, they are smaller and require less space', but presumably, if someone is interested in the Dapol Stroudley coaches, they are probably going to be putting them behind a Dapol 'Terrier' ? I which case, I would suggest that a couple of Slaters Maunsell coaches is likely to produce something more realistic and more interesting that people can connect with - there are plenty of Southern branch lines which ran with a couple of Maunsell coaches.

Personally, I think RTR Maunsell coaches would be very commercially successful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some years ago when I required a single coach for my small layout Halstead, I chose Slaters' four-wheeled GWR Brake Third. If I remember correctly the kit is mixed medium (plastic with etched and cast brass parts). Assembly was a real joy. The plastic parts were joined with Mek-pak and the brass parts were affixed with superglue. I finished the coach in teak and it suited my small light railway very well. It would make a nice Christmas present to yourself (or from a loved one).

·
In depth idiot
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The recipient is apparently more comfortable with plastic kits, so unless there are some other plastic construction kit choices, the Slater's three compartment brake end is probably in pole

1 - 6 of 6 Posts