Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this for a long time; I know, get a life...

Whenever r-t-r manufacturers make the same class of loco, is there an unwritten rule whereby they don't usually make the same named/numbered loco (with some exceptions, such as A4 Mallard - Hornby & Bachmann)? I ask because I remember the Hornby-Dublo rebuilt West Country 'Barnstaple', not yet in Hornby's recent models, although Hornby did make the A4 'Golden Fleece' recently, which was made by Hornby-Dublo.

mal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I would think that with the exception of locomotives such as Mallard or when the earlier model was to an older standard there would be no point at all of issuing the same running numbers - after all it would lesson potential sales.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Jun 2008, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would think that with the exception of locomotives such as Mallard or when the earlier model was to an older standard there would be no point at all of issuing the same running numbers - after all it would lesson potential sales.

Both Farish and Dapol have 66725 "Sunderland AFC" in their current catalogues. Are there really that many Sunderland-supporting N gauge modellers out there, especially when the Dapol one comes in a boxed set with a B17 of the same name? Both have also released 66610 I think as well as Eddie the Engine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Edwin @ 18 Jun 2008, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Both Farish and Dapol have 66725 "Sunderland AFC" in their current catalogues. Are there really that many Sunderland-supporting N gauge modellers out there, especially when the Dapol one comes in a boxed set with a B17 of the same name? Both have also released 66610 I think as well as Eddie the Engine.

Apologies. Looks like there's no unwritten rule. Hopefully Hornby will do a rebuilt WC 'Barnstaple' sometime.

mal

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Jun 2008, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would think that with the exception of locomotives such as Mallard or when the earlier model was to an older standard there would be no point at all of issuing the same running numbers - after all it would lesson potential sales.

Agreed on some levels Brian, however

QUOTE (Edwin @ 18 Jun 2008, 12:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Both Farish and Dapol have 66725 "Sunderland AFC" in their current catalogues. Are there really that many Sunderland-supporting N gauge modellers out there, especially when the Dapol one comes in a boxed set with a B17 of the same name? Both have also released 66610 I think as well as Eddie the Engine.

Any model rail manufacturer is about making money first and foremost. Eddie the Engine is an attractive livery and therefore will drive sales in the impulse buying market. This makes it an attractive prototype to issue even if there is a model of the same loco on the market from a competing manufacturer. After all your model is ethier going to be of a higher standard but sell for the same price or be of a slightly lower standard and sell for a lot less.
Unless your a Hornby 66

Andii

·
Registered
982 Posts
Aren't Bachmann bringing out unrebuilt Patriot "Duke Of Sutherland" which is the same as Hornbys 1979 dated model (then a partner for their "Duchess of Sutherland"). It does seem odd as there were another 54 to choose from . So I don't think there is such a rule

Russell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back in 1978 or 79 (30 years ago already!) I recall Aifix produced a 4F in early BR livery as, I think, 44454. They also produced it in LMS black as 4454. As the model press of the day mentioned, Airfix was effectively marketing the same engine twice themselves, if one had a different number they may have more easily had people purchasing both engines. They were £8 - 95 back then; I still had to scrimp and save for even one - in the end I settled for a second hand one for a fiver!

steve22

1 - 8 of 8 Posts