Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance I stumbled across what appears to be the French equivalent of the MRC and on their pages found a link to this magazine. I've only had a brief look around, but they appear to have posted a few articles (fortunately the same word in French) from previous issues. These have been posted as PDFs. I had a look at the article in ballasting, the results look pretty good and there are probaby enough words and pictures to take you through the whole process.

So my question is: Is this the kind of thing UK magazines should do once any chance of making further cash from their back issues has passed?

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dutch magazine 'Railhobby' has some digital issues on their website. If you have a subscription (only for the website) you can read them online. There are back issues available till i think 2002. I would love to see the english magazines do this.

To see a demo:
http://www.railhobby.nl/17101/default.aspx

Looks pretty nice i think.

Werner

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Looks pretty nice i think.
I agree

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's a good idea but I can't see it happening in this country until it becomes standard practise in the publishing industry as a whole

·
Registered
370 Posts
As a long term critic of the web sites of UK Railway Modelling Magazines, the biggest difference I see in those of other countries, is the modelling information they give.
Although I think that past features, helpful to inexperienced modellers, would be an excellent idea, I can't see any of the UK mags obliging.
More interested in getting new modellers to buy the next issue, than nurturing embryo modelling interest.
It's a case of "circulation now means all" I'm afraid. Very short term thinking !!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I had a good long look at the Dutch site railhobby it's very impressive. I quite liked the layout they presented particularly the layout of the return loop and staging yards very clever. Hardly Peco-ish though !

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a really impressive layout. Thanks for the link Werner!

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have to agree that the UK modelling mags websites are poor. They only give minute snippets to get you to buy the magazine which I suppose is fair enough but compare that to Model Railroaders website. They have short films and reviews as well as a forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts