Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm replacing all my Peco track with 99% Kato Unitrack and 1% Minitrix. Kato Unitrack has the point motors built in to the ballast, so you don't need to cut big holes in the baseboard. I found out, after I bought loads of them, that the 'track conversion adaptor straight' is not needed.
I would use 100% Kato, but my track plan requires a 30% double slip which, I think, only Minitrix have. I buy all my Unitrack from a Japanese shop on Ebay. Prices are very reasonable. You don't have to pay customs duty or VAT if you don't go over the £15.00 limit per order. I don't know how much Fleischmann Profi track costs, or where to buy it.

You can get free track planning software from the Xtrkcad group on Yahoo.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Fleischmann Profi and Kato Unitrack come ready ballasted, so no need to hunt around for cork rolls for underlay etc. Minitrix, Peco etc. are unballasted. The codes, as in Peco code 80, refer to rail height, so code 100 being the crudest and code 55, the finest. The only problem with code 55 track is that older stock had overscale wheel flanges, so can bump along on top of the sleepers. The Kato point motors are very neat, being totally hidden in the track base/ballast. Don't know about the Profi track as I can't remember about their point motors.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I thought profi was n gauge too. Shows how much I know about Fleischmann track. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts