Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I would go for the Fleischmann Profi - 2 of our regular customers are just in the process of replacing all their Peco with Fleischmann.

Although quite a bit more expensive the Profi will accept almost any N-Gauge wheels without any problems & with just a little time weathering looks pretty good, especially if you are looking for "modern" track.

The points are DCC friendly out of the box & there is no need to motorise "trailing" points if you only run in one direction over them.

If you go for a finer track such as the code 55 you may have problems with some european stock wheels - especially some of the older stuff.

The same goes for both N & HO.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 30 Nov 2007, 00:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fleischmann Profi and Kato Unitrack come ready ballasted, so no need to hunt around for cork rolls for underlay etc. Minitrix, Peco etc. are unballasted. The codes, as in Peco code 80, refer to rail height, so code 100 being the crudest and code 55, the finest. The only problem with code 55 track is that older stock had overscale wheel flanges, so can bump along on top of the sleepers. The Kato point motors are very neat, being totally hidden in the track base/ballast. Don't know about the Profi track as I can't remember about their point motors.

Sound advice & about the only thing I can add is that the Fleischmann point motors clip onto the side of the point, but you can mount them "upsidedown" so that they are flush with the baseboard surface.

Please let us know how you are getting on.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hawkmoth @ 2 Dec 2007, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This set comes with "Piccolo" track as opposed to "Profi", I am unsure of what the differences are between the two types at present (but am not too concerned at this stage). My guess is that "Profi" is more professional? Is that right? If so, in what way os it supposed to be more professional?

Sorry - that's me getting you confused - the "Profi" is the HO one - doh !

The track in the N starter sets is the N gauge version of Profi HO & is excellent track to continue with - you won't regret it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts