Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've just become a member of this forum and getting back into modeling after an absence of some 40 years. Some things are the same but much has changed and there are many new things that I'm trying to get my mind around. My fascination is with detail so I hope you can help me.

I'm looking at starting a collection of British steam engines that typify the post war (II) era. Other periods will follow I trust, but this is my starting ground. I'm looking for detail... like, opening smoke boxes with details inside, smooth working and tight linkages, I hate floppy, loosley pinned links, and detailed cabs. What manufacturers typify this quality or, is there a range within a manufacturer's product line that exemplifies this class of product. Am I deluding myself that 00 can give me this or should I be looking at larger scales? From the modeling standpoint I like the idea of aging and weathering. A layout is not in the works for the moment but may be once I get a decent collection that I want to take to the next level.

I live in Canada (Ontario) so availability of product is not the best, although importing is not out of the question.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
You don't have much available that is of the detail you seek. At least nothing off the shelf.

Bachmann recently produced a Super-D that had an opening firbox (see review here), but no detail inside and not much other detail.

Hornby have sime nicely detailed cabs on some of the newer models (see here), but they lack in other areas.

Perhaps you need to resign to the fact that you will have to add detail yourself. That may not be a bad thing, but if you're starting off, you may want to go up a scale or two to do it more easily. Obviously, as the models get bigger, they increase in cost, but you could add plenty of detail to a nice Bachmann Brassworks model and make it something very special indeed.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The Bachmann Jubilee also has an opening firebox (see review here) but they didn't put anything inside for that one either. The review also has a close up of the Jubilee's motion so you can see what it looks like and judge for yourself whether it's tight enough to meet your requirements.

I don't think the Jubilee's motion is any different to any other RTR model at the moment. If you consider this too loose, then the choice is either build a kit from someone like Comet or Brassmasters where the motion is etched nickel silver (the cross heads tend not to be) or just replace the chassis and motion. There are other kit manufacturers out there but these are two I know have reasonably comprehensive websites with downloadable PDFs so you can make an informed judgement.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also crave intricate detail on my models. I'd like to get into building etched brass steam loco kits using P4 standards, but since my budget is extremely low right now, I have to stick to OO RTR models that I can super detail gradually as cost allows. I just ordered the Bachmann Jubilee, and I'm already figuring how I can scratchbuild interior details for the smokebox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys for your speedy response. Doug, I appreciate the two links. The cab details of the Hornby "Schools" is great. It's interesting that in the link there is a great discussion on the merits of detail with some not duly impressed with this 'hidden' detail, suggesting that if it can't be seen when running 'what's the point', well from a modelers standpoint, I feel the detail should be everywhere. I'd be happy to add the detail for the smokebox interior myself to get closer to reality and if I have to go up in scale, then so be it.

dwb, that is an excellent article and this is one model I was considering as the valve gear looks pretty darn good. I agree with the author about his preference for steam - the exposed valve gear, diesels just don't cut it here. I like this model.

across the pond, I'd be interested to hear from you if you manage to work on the firebox interior. I think that is something I will definitely get into. By the way, do you buy your models locally or do you import them?

Neils, what are you trying to do to me? I've drooled all over my keyboard! Now that is something to strive for. At the moment these are outside of the budget I'd be willing to spend, however if 00 just doesn't do it for me I thing I may become a customer of San Cheng! I'm looking for my piggybank... it's here somewhere!

Regards all, and thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi from another enthusiast from Burlington Ontario, you may be interested in an organisation the represents UK railways in Canada and the US it is the BRMNA, British Railway Modellers of North America, they have an interesting quarterly news letter and if you become a member you get a membership list plus listings of the various events throughout the year.
Their email address is [email protected]
Would be glad to give further info
Have Fun

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (audible @ 30 Dec 2008, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. I'm looking at starting a collection of British steam engines that typify the post war (II) era. ..
You could take a quick sampling of two BR standard locomotives which were built post WWII and saw widespread service, and are good representatives of the best current products of their respective makers to see if the standard is good enough to serve as a starting point for further work.
Bachmann's 9F http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21262
Hornby's Britannia http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=20693

These are competently executed running models, rather than exhibition quality 'all possible detail present' showpieces. As others have observed already in this thread, higher quality than this has rarely been available in UK OO RTR.

Short runs of Asian brass models are occasionally made in OO, currently for example there are a few of the LMS prototype diesels available from 'Fiatrains'. A business which has begun in earnest on Pullman coaches is Golden Age models. http://www.goldenagemodels.net/oo-gauge.html They were sounding out the market interest toward the prospect of matching Pacific locomotives, able to haul complete trains of these heavy carriages: one would hope that the detail would be comparable to that of the Pullmans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nvhcs, thanks for the contact, I'll definitely get in touch with them. Do you know if anything is upcoming or major shows later in the year that I can pop into my long range planning? Do you purchase locally?

34C, you and I must think alike, both of these are on my list (which is growing). Once I find a good retailer over here I'll start whittling down my list and make decisions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (audible @ 30 Dec 2008, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>across the pond, I'd be interested to hear from you if you manage to work on the firebox interior. I think that is something I will definitely get into. By the way, do you buy your models locally or do you import them?
I'll post photos when I'm done. It won't be for a while though because I haven't gotten the model yet. I ordered it from Modelfair just yesterday so it will take a little while for it to ship from the UK to here. I usually order my models online from retailers in Canada and the US. This was the first model I've ordered directly from the UK.

QUOTE (audible @ 30 Dec 2008, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neils, what are you trying to do to me? I've drooled all over my keyboard! Now that is something to strive for.
I'm with you 100%!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi! not much activity on the calender at the moment, waiting for the New Year newsletter for more info. You might want to phone Dave Venables club secretary at 613-829-1377 for more info. a couple of Ontario suppliers (limited) are "the British Connection" Dave Foster 519-686-5693, or Model Railway Imports Steve, 905-685-0516. I do most of my shopping by email in the UK, Hattons and Kernow Models have given excellent service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks nchcs, I'll check those out. How do they ship from the UK and do you get hit by import fees or just the taxes?

Regards and Happy New Year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts