Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was me crawling back from East midlands airport with returning holidaymakers on board when i saw a load of flashing lights in the distance I was thinking now whats going to hold us up

It turned out to be an abnormal load coming the other way as i approached i realised it was a class 86 on the back of a low loader 86218 in anglia livery to be prescise not sure where it was going but as it was heading towards the A6 I was guessing possibly Derby ?

It is amazing though how often these days you do see rolling stock on the back of low loaders and the traffic chaos they can cause
but it does make the roads more interesting so far this year i've seen 2 HST power cars a palvan the tender for a gresley pacific a Mk1 coach and today a class 86

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE it does make the roads more interesting so far this year i've seen 2 HST power cars a palvan the tender for a gresley pacific a Mk1 coach and today a class 86

Short of something large and foreign, I don't think anything can top seeing a 9F.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE i just had this image of a loco on a low loader followed by 9 replacement busses!!
LOL!

David

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting. I know a good place to get a lot (sometimes none
) low loaders with various train stuff on the back, Heanor Haulage at Langley Mill. Always always something to do with trains at their yard. They have always allowed me on site to photograph the vehicles. Last thing I saw was, if I remember correctly, a HST Power Car.

This is one I took a couple of years ago. I diddn't have an interest in trains at the time so just photographed the truck with its load. I gather its an EWS loco, but class, I dont know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
in the past 12 months i have seen City of Truro, twice, a black 5 (quite a shock when driving through a small village near the SVR), Thomas from the severn valley, 50, 37, a 9f and numerous coaches just because it is cheeper than sending it on the rails.

looks very much like a 37 with most of the glazing gone.

Alistair

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alibuchan @ 27 Oct 2007, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just because it is cheeper than sending it on the rails.
Alistair

I can understand moving defective stock by road but it seems strange that the railways themselves move stock around by road when the powers that be are trying to get goods off the roads & onto the railways. All down to cost at the end of the day.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Breaston @ 27 Oct 2007, 21:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is one I took a couple of years ago. I diddn't have an interest in trains at the time so just photographed the truck with its load. I gather its an EWS loco, but class, I dont know.

A superb shot of one of Heanors big Volvos, something I have yet to see modelled!

QUOTE (alibuchan @ 27 Oct 2007, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looks very much like a 37 with most of the glazing gone.

That's probably because that's what it is - have a feeling its a 37/0 on it's way into preservation.

Regards

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 29 Oct 2007, 17:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A superb shot of one of Heanors big Volvos, something I have yet to see modelled!

Hopfully not in the too near future, I will be making a model my self of Heanor Haulage's Volvo. just looking for a suitable trailer at this time then I shall just bang a loco on the back, hey presto, done!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Breaston @ 30 Oct 2007, 20:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just looking for a suitable trailer at this time then I shall just bang a loco on the back, hey presto, done!

Herpa do some superb heavy haulage stuff in HO - their trailers can be made up with as many axels that you require.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (zep108 @ 31 Oct 2007, 10:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hello
just saw 53809 heading north light engine on the m42

They've laid rails on the M42?

Sorry.

Regards

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not just the motorways either some of the A roads are getting like that ! Still if they remove the roundabouts from the A1 it would make a great diversionary route for weekend engineering work on the ECML

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 2 Nov 2007, 19:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... Still if they remove the roundabouts from the A1 it would make a great diversionary route for weekend engineering work on the ECML

We've been using the A1 most of the last twenty years to get to Yorkshire for our holidays. In that time the extensive lengths made into motorway have seen the removal of many roundabouts already, so perhaps they're working on it.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OH YES they are working on it !!

as you might have guessed roadworks on the A1 are a major hinderence to me the only thing worse than roadworks are the lorries that overturn on carpenters lodge roundabout so maybe the suffering will be worth it in the long run !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts