Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

'N' gauge fans will be pleased with the news of another new company in the small, but growing group producing UK outline models.

Ixion Models is the newest manufacturer of state of the art 'N' gauge 1:148 locomotives for the United Kingdom, and world markets.

Ixion Model Railways Ltd is an Anglo-Australian company, formed by three friends, Phil Badger and Lindsay O’Reilly from Australia and Chris Klein from the UK, with the sole purpose of producing the finest British-prototype 'N' scale 1:148 locomotives yet seen in the market.
Phil Badger is Australia's pre-eminent N scale modeller, manufacturing his own range of etched brass and polyurethane cast kits in N scale (1:160). He also produces kits by himself, and in collaboration with others, in HO, 7mm and 1/4" scales for standard and narrow gauge prototypes. He also produces limited-run RTR N scale locomotives of NSW and Victorian prototypes.

Chris Klein has been a railway modeller for more than 40 years, and is best known for the more than 25 articles he has written for the Railway Modeller. He has written about his BR(WR) 4mm scale Abersoch and Boduan Junction layouts, and, more recently, his explorations into 7mm modelling, especially his essays into locomotive kitbuilding.

Lindsay O'Reilly is an incurable scale-gauge schizophrenic, having built models of standard and narrow gauge prototypes in N, HO, and O scales, and even Gauge 3 (1:22.5 standard gauge). He has written for a number of Australian modelling magazines, generated the instructions for a range of NSW 7mm kits, and is well known for his layout designs and presentations on Building Small Layouts in 7mm scale."
Tooling for Ixion's first locomotive has commenced, and the first CAD 3D modelling images will appear on their website before Christmas. Ixion plan to release this model to coincide with the N Gauge Society exhibition in September, 2008.
Lindsay O'Reilly said: "As an aside, the logo was designed (by me) to refer to the classical Greek story of Ixion, and thus represents a feathered or winged wheel, which was a very commonly used late-19th century symbol for railways, especially in Germany (just a bit of trivia there). The seven-pointed star is called the Federation star in Australia, and appears on our national flag. It obviously has personal significance for Phil Badger and I, as Aussies, but it is also - I think - the nicest-looking star there is. There is no other deep significance beyond that, really.

The colours of the logo are the colours of the outback, but were also chosen to be distinctively different to the manufacturers already in the market.

The name Ixion was selected because it rolls off the tongue, doesn't sound like any existing manufacturer, and looks good in a logo. Again, there is nothing more complicated than that. It certainly has no connection to the loco of the same name, which I only learnt about recently."
We'll keep you posted as news comes in.

Nothing much to see for now, but their website is at: www.ixionmodels.com

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Great to hear. I don't model n gauge myself but I like the idea of three friends setting up a business and going for it! Good luck to them.

Rob

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 5 Nov 2007, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great to hear. I don't model n gauge myself but I like the idea of three friends setting up a business and going for it! Good luck to them.

Rob

I second that & wish them well.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It's always good to see a new producer coming on to the market. It will be interesting to see what the first model is - any suggestions, my money is on a first generation diesel. I wish them every success.

Regards

·
Registered
982 Posts
It certainly seems to be happening in "n" at the moment:-

Bachmann/GF upgrading their standards to produce some very nice models
Dapol introducing their Platinum range with 9F, Hymek,156 and 67 all promised
Now Ixion

Good luck to them all. It must be a great time to start out in modelling

Russell

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Lindsay O Reilly @ 1 Jan 2008)For us, this is the calendar year when our first loco will appear, and thus 2008 holds great expectations for us. We have revised the first draft of the CAD drawings of our Model No. 1, and sent them back to the toolmakers to make the corrections to the 3D model. Phil's corrections alone ran to five pages!! We are trying very hard to get it right first time, and live up to our promises, no easy thing when we are novices in this whole large-production-run process.

Phil has, of course, produced handbuilt ready-to-run N scale locos for the Australian market, along with many kits, and has a level of expertise in that area that Chris and I don't have. We have built many kits, and I've been involved in writing kit instructions, but RTR manufacture is new to us.

In that vein, and following a number of enquiries, we have decided to upload some images of our own models and layouts to our website, and I'm in the process of putting those pages together now. I'll email you soon when they are there. Despite my background as a Visual Arts teacher, I've never created a website before doing the Ixion site, so this is a steep learning curve for us in all sorts of ways!

When we are satisfied that the CAD models are as accurate as we can make them, we'll post them on the website, and the cat will be out of the bag on its identity. I will, however, email you all first, so that our Internet Friends (surely there's a better collective noun than that - suggestions welcome) will be the first to know.

I have actually received in writing an order for the loco from Kevin Knight, who resides on the Australian eastern seaboard. He says he doesn't mind what it is! So Kevin, you are Ixion customer No. 1. I don't suppose that is worth much now, but maybe later... I wish I had been customer number one for someone like Fender guitars in the 1950s, for example!

I need to post a correction to one of my previous statements; in error, I have said elsewhere that we will be releasing our loco at the N Gauge Society exhibition in September 2008. In fact, the show is not being organised by the NGS, but is quite independent of them. Thanks to Fred Hempsall of the NGS for putting me straight. Apologies for the error; I'd like to blame 20,000 kilometres of distance, though my inattention is a more likely cause...

As most of you already know, our distribution in the UK, Europe and North America is being handled by Dapol. So look for us next to the Dapol stand at the proposed N gauge exhibition at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre in September. We anticipate that two thirds of the Ixion Directors will be present, being Phil Badger and Chris Klein. Phil will make the trip from Australia especially for the launch. Teaching responsibilities preclude me attending at that time of this year; it's just before my Higher School Certificate (like 'matric' or A-Levels) students will finish their courses, prior to sitting their final exams. But Phil and Chris will be delighted to meet you, if you're able to attend.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The tender looks a bit 'chunky' to my eye - but that may just be the photo.

Overall it looks the part though.

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Whoopee !! A new Manor - long overdue. Not sure about that drive shaft though (if that's what it is)

When does production start, what liveries are expected, will it be DCC fitted, how can I order some and how much will they cost ??

Not that I'm getting excited or anything.

Expat.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Re. my earlier post.

I have now been onto the Ixion web site and found that they will be available in September 2008 and are to be produced in 4 liveries (2 x GWR and 2 x BR). Price is £104.99 but the detail on the computer images lookes absolutely superb.

Here is the link:- http://ixionmodels.com/news.htm

Details are as follows:-

Manor 4-6-0 Locomotive 7808 'Cookham Manor'
This locomotive is finished in GWR Unlined Green with GWR shirt-button emblem on the tender.

Each locomotive will benefit from the following specification as standard.

RP25.57 see though, darkened, spoked wheels. DCC Ready, Super highly detailed body and tender, NEM coupling pockets with alternate couplers. spare air pipes and coupling chains, etched brass factory fitted nameplate and cab side numberplates, authentic livery representation, 12 wheel pick-ups, tender powered loco drive mechanism using 'super creep' technology motor, backhead detail, fire irons with 2 man crew and hand lamps (for customer fitting) ,phospor bronze self lubricating wheel axle bearings, positively sprung front bogie, separate front steps (for customer fitting), 40:1 gear ratio for super slow running, accurately modelled 3500 gallon tender.

Locomotives ordered will be available for pick-up at the International N gauge show at Leamington Spa in September 2008, or will be posted out to customers the following week.

Advance Order placed. Roll on September.

Expat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts