Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I thought the program was absolutely fantastic and showed how much fun toy trains can be.

I thought the collector who checked the wheels was slightly odd!

What did everyone else think?

Jake

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Is this the one that was originally on a while ago?

QUOTE (King Edward 1st @ 5 Jan 2009, 16:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought the collector who checked the wheels was slightly odd!

Believe me there is nothing unusual in that - quite often stock has been rewheeled, and some of the older wheels are also very susceptible to flange damage.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I've seen the programme a couple of times & enjoyed it.

I have met collectors that make the guy that checks the wheels look positively normal !

BC (to customer in model shop purchasing about seven Roco locomotives) - I expect you have a large layout to be able to run that amount of locomotives ?

Collector (most indignantly) - run them, you mean actually run them ?, I don't ever take them out of the boxes !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find James May a very likeable chap and somebody I can relate to easily. I'd watched the programme some time ago and then caught the same episode again just before Xmas. Seeing the train set just brought back memories of when I was 6 and had what I now know to be a Hornby Dublo set (Duchess of Montrose loco). Mr May and his train set definitely planted a seed though. Just on the off chance that my partner hadn't bought me anything for Xmas we somehow ended up watching the episode again on BBC iPlayer and I raved about train sets...

Xmas came and went, and nothing remotely model rail appeared from under the tree. No surprise really since my other half knows I like to research anything before a purchase. So, since then I've bought two copies of Railway Modeller and, just today, an issue of Model Rail (which I prefer). It has to be said that there's a lot more to the whole model train subject than I ever thought possible and for a beginner it can be quite daunting. The only real decisions I've made so far is that I want to go DCC and want to get rolling stock that reflects the area I'm currently living in (Glasgow for the last few years) and it will be steam but what era? ...

Anyway, that's me also just joined the forum so that I could say the above. I'm off to look for what I originally intended to track down (web site for Model Rail) but will be back to the forums to soak myself in more facts and hopefully pick something up by osmosis! As such, I look forward to reading some of your old posts.

Cheers for now

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just watched the show on "you tube"

Very entertaining and a man after my own heart.

I especially laughed at the auction but have my eyes deceived me - is the train he wins at the auction the one he claims to have won when he makes a point of throwing the boxes away ?

Dave

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have to say I like James May he seems an excellent type of chap and a man after my own heart about the "Running" of your model railway stock and not just looking at them!!!
That scene with that collector that wouldn't even let James pick one up was quite funny. That bloke needs to get out more Oh and build a model railway to RUN his "collection" on.

It did take me back to many years ago when I had my 0-4-0 Triang Dock shunter (the one with the light in the front) running round my 8x4 sheet of chipboard! Excellent days indeed.

My wife seems to think I must be related to James as I do have many of the same thoughts and attributes as he does. Pity I havn't got his money though!!

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi John, Yes your right that was funny and why not I say ( although I do tend to keep the Loco ones in case I ever want to sell them on)

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a box (well several actually) of empty boxes for the stock on my layout.

If anything ever happened SWMBO would have no idea what goes in what box!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Did he even win the auction or was it staged for the TV? That being said, I dont think that JM is a pauper and it would be just like him to buy a "collectors item" and throw the boxes away just to annoy the collectors!!!!. A man after my own heart. I never keep boxes as they take up too much storage space.

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (madon37s @ 22 Jan 2009, 10:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It did take me back to many years ago when I had my 0-4-0 Triang Dock shunter (the one with the light in the front) running round my 8x4 sheet of chipboard! Excellent days indeed.

I've got one of these but sadly can't run it anymore on DCC. Tried the conversion which sadly, failed.

Good clip, I watched the show when it was firs on but I forgot how good it was.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 24 Jan 2009, 20:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got one of these but sadly can't run it anymore on DCC. Tried the conversion which sadly, failed.

Should have worked, although the knurled wheels would not help a smooth pickup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts