Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cher modelistes.

Je reviens apres les petit vacances en Paris:

The Eiffel Tower has a funicular in each leg (not an inclined lift as these are railed vehicles), 3 legs contain pasenger cars with stepped cabins and the fourth legs has a freight funicular in the conventional single level body funicular style. To model this lot would be a nightmare!!!

Got a new mobile phone and took this pic - Paris Metro MP59 (Metro Pneu - rubber tyred, built 1959) stock on Ligne 4 at Barbes-Rochechouart. Paris Metro is standard gauge with a very narrow 'six-foot', the system was built that way in the 1900s to stop main line trains from running on it! The Metro also runs on the right - paraphrasing Michael Caine: 'Not a lot of people know that'!

Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Some nice pics, thanks for posting them.

I went to the iffel tower about 5 years ago and i think the best part was seeing the origional winding gear behind a glass screen in the base of one of the legs as i came out of the lift.

I knew it was narrow stock but i didnt know why. berlin also had narrow stock on part of the U-bahn i wonder if it was for the same reason. some of it ended up in Beijing and some went to North Korea.

Eifel tower in etched brass. Hmmm............

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
So we're becoming multi lingual as well as multi national now eh?

But seriously another pair of intriguing (la toure Eiffel) and interesting (the MP59 stock) photos. I must admit I was not aware that the tower had a funicular system.

In answer to Peter's hmmm - I think it would take a fair bit of work.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts