Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Recently fitted a Hornby Decoder (latest version) to a Bachmann Jinty. Ran fine intially but after resetting the Acc & Dec rates it does not move off imeadiatly probably takes two seconds from hitting the button to actually moving off, once running it performs well. This is the first time I have come across this problem any ideas?

Cheers Mike.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
The Jinty can be a little awkward to set up right.

Remove all the capacitors if you haven't done it already. There are at least 2 from memory. This 3 pole motor needs all the BEMF help it can get.
set CV2/4 momentum how you want it to be.
Increase CV2 to say 4, then increase or decreas it in single unit steps until you have the start as you want.
Now the thing that a hornby decoder may not be able to do....
set CV 5 10 180 to slightly lower top speed
set CV 6 to 120~130 to improve slow speed control/smoothness

Should be fine now if all is as above - individual loco's may need slightly different, but in general these settings give excellent start/stop, and a better quality of control in the first half of the speed step range + more realistic top speed

Richard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard

Finally got around to sorting out this Jinty.

Couldn't find any capacitors to remove only the copper coils mounted on the DCC socket board, so decided to remove the board along with the DCC ready socket and hard wire the decoder directly to the motor and wheel pick ups.

Unfortunatly this did not improve the slow start problem. Also the Hornby decoder does not support CV's 2, 5, & 6. the only way I have found to overcome the problem is to alter CV 3 but then the acceleration rate is not very realistic when I control the loco 8 steps at a time.

I suppose I will have to control it 1 step at a time manually.

Cheers Mike

PS the model in question is No 32-225DC - DCC fitted. I removed the original Bachmann decoder because of poor running.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***The hard wiring is a good solution. The real answer is to change decoder brand if thats practical for you - some loco's just need better decoder control than the H can manage. The TCS MC2 is fitted to both my Jinties and they perform really well.

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The copper coils are chokes - part of the supression for analogue - these can be left in or linked out for DCC. Unlike capacitors they have no effect on DCC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts