Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we were allowed to travel from Australia, (remeber life without covid
) we were in France at a market and I picked up an old Jouef 141 tender drive 4-8-2. I model UK but was impressed with the look of this loco and the price 20 Euro. I knew it was a non runner and it was destined for static display.
I have decided to get it running. Motor good, magnet good pick up excellent (great quality and design) loco wheels and motion very smooth, but the tender drive does not work. Stripping it down found the vertical shaft from the motor to the wheels does not mesh with the driver cog

Before I get the mini puller and strip the shaft- any thoughts. It is an older model but the service sheet seems to imply a small roller bearing????

Has anyone had any experience with the older Jouef steam locos?

·
In depth idiot
8,425 Posts
There won't be a roller bearing!

From your problem description, I suspect that what might be missing is the little circlip that the drawing shows should be on the vertical shaft above the top crownwheel. With that component absent the vertical shaft will rise when the motor turns, and that will take the lower small spur gear out of contact with the second crownwheel that is in your photo of the gear train in the bogie. There may be more problems yet...

I have only distant memories of Joueff mechs, and frankly they were on the flimsy side. A major problem - after some initial period of satisfactory operation - was the tendency for the plastic worms and gears to slip on motor and other small diameter shafts, which they needed to firmly grip if drive was to reach the wheels. Motor running nicely, no movement of model: given a push it might run a short distance from some of the drive of the gear slipping on the shaft reaching the wheels.

Obviously that can be fixed with a little deployment of superglue after thorough degreasing. Motor anchorage could be flaky too, so don't be surprised if the motor mount needs beefing up - but that's not so likely to be a problem with a spur gear on the motor shaft.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 34c. The circlip is still there and the motor mount is in good condition. If you press down on the shaft with the motor removed, it still won't engage. I think something is missing. Just bough a new mini puller to strip down the shaft and find out what is missing

·
In depth idiot
8,425 Posts
So the vertical shaft won't go down far enough to engage the crownwheel seen in the photograph. That suggests one of three things:
The vertical shaft position within an otherwise correct assembly has been altered.
The vertical shaft position has been moved upwards because the sub-assembly it is in has also been moved upwards.
The lay shaft with the crownwheel - as seen in your photograph - is out of position, moved downwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.