Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I want to run some wires from one end of a HST to the other, via the 3 coaches in between (wiring for lighting - being cheapskate I dont want to use a second decoder in the dummy cab just to operate the headlight). Although the train formation will always be the same, permanent connections between carriages are likely to be a serious nuisance when rerailing etc. How can I arrange some simple connectors between coaches, so that they can easily be disconnected if necessary?

Thanks for reading.

JD

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
There are two possibilities that I can think of:

• If your coaches and power cars have NEM pockets you could use conductive couplings from a company such as Roco
  • You could use something like the DCC Concept connectors which are stocked by Bromsgrove Models - link or these from Express Models.
You will notice none of these methods is cheap and you might be better off with a second decoder

David

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have wired up jumper cables between cars in my DCkits 4Cep

I? Don't let him kid you! I did it for him I also did the lighting, but HE did the rest. Like I was going to let you take the credit I even found the Ebay link for you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
here is a lnk to what I mean by the micro plugs, I was given mine

Given more stole along with LEDs, some fine wire, Brass and a loco
which you broke!

·
Registered
56 Posts
jinty3f do you plan to run the HST in both directions?
If not just have a red LED in the rear car, with a diode to block the reverse voltage for the LEDs, and connect to the pick ups.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
jinty3f
here are some freom Rapid Electronics
you can glue them under the buffer beam
Connector
and Socket
they are only about £0.90 per connection so about £3-£4.5 in total(+P&P)
kiwionrails

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (kiwionrails @ 17 Mar 2009, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>here are some freom Rapid Electronics
Connector
and Socket
kiwionrails
I doubt whether Molex 'KK's would be viable in anything less than 7mm scale due to their size (2.54mm pitch).
In the past on my 4mm EMUs I have used PCB header and socket connectors from Rapid with half this pitch, 1.27mm.
Another alternative, akin to the Molex 'KK' method, is to use their 1.25mm pitch version, a 4 way example of which would be Rapid 22-3944, 22-3932 and crimp terminals 22-3966. For either size, the proper crimp tool ought to be used to give reliable contact and construction.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

Nice one there Gordon H, I have not seen these before. Tell me have you used them? I like them and I have many other applications I could use them for.

Right I refuse to have a visa card, I use paypal etc. Anyone interested in helping me out here, and I am happy to pay you for your troubles.

Gordon any other pcb sockets you recommend? This is mainly what I want to do. The smaller the better.....within reason. I have bootlace crimps which start at 2.5mm and go down to 0.13mm. If I have to get a crimp no problem. Any other suggestions in this area?

Applications

Run speakers, lights, quick disconnect in loco coach lighting linking AB sets etc wire mainly flex from 0.25mm to 0.5mm

So If anyone wants to help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (kiwionrails @ 17 Mar 2009, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>jinty3f
here are some freom Rapid Electronics
Connector
and Socket
kiwionrails

Thanks to all who replied on this one. I found the same items you mention on ebay, and bought 10 sets costing 50p each incl. postage. They work a treat and I have enough to fit out 2 more HSTs. Keeping me busy for a few more evenings!!

JD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts