Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the Roco takeover of Fleischmann may mean that the will drop the FMZ DCC system and switch to normal 8 pole interface ? Have there been any statements on this or does anyone have a particular insight into this? It would seem wasteful to run the FMZ system up against the wello accepted Multimaus even if the functionality is not the same. I am contemplating deferring prchases of FM locos until they have a policy on this.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Andrew

I think that since FMZ is still very popular in Europe (just see what the FMZ loco's sell for on Ebay) they will continue with it .
the availability of twin decoders (FMZ and DCC) and FMZ modules is still on the website. Although Fleischmann have some New DCC NEM651 socket DCC only decoders.The Twin Centre system can run FMZ and DCC (much like the new Marklin can run there own digital and DCC) at the end of the day you can put any decoder that will physically fit into a Fleischmann loco.

Regards

Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
**** At the time of their takeover Fleischmann insistence on their own digital system was cited as one of the main causes of problems for them. I think it will actually end within a reasonably short period - and I think that will be a good thing as one standard is a better thing for the hobby overall.

With FL becoming the N scale brand between FL and Roco its likely that the NEM651 which was only really ever intended as an N scale decoder interface will continue, but I have no idea whether they will continue it for more HO models - its certainly very unlikely they will retool anything in existing models while they are still in the trough financially.

Overall both the 6 pin and 21 pin are problems in HO - the existing 21 pin which has a problemmatic pin configuration is slated for replacement with a new more sensible pin layout standards wise in 2010 and the slightly underpowered and often intermittent/sloppy 6 pin doesn't allow full wave power to lighting unless one is brave enough to add the blue wire to the decoder - A soldering job that is not for the "occasional solderer" or the faint hearted!

Regards

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
So far there has been no announcement either way.

FMZ is still quite popular (as Zmil says - "just look at the prices on eBay") - FLM to their credit support all of their past technology, including FMZ & the early automated control systems - not many manufactures can claim this.

Good or bad ? - time will tell.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Hi Brian - You are up late!

Good cust service = good.

Dilution of global standards = bad :).

I wonder if old policies will survive new accounting masters... retro support is a good thing of course but it may be a cost that is seen as unsupportable by a new, leaner business structure to allow new investment in tooling & product development which would seem to be what FL needs to survive.

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Richard,

Woke up with the rumblings of a cold so had a quick look on the forum as I was drinking a Lemsip ! Now I am up early about to drive to Birmingham for a one hour job.

I'm not too sure but I think the FMZ system was produced just before DCC ( at the time many manufactures had their own formats).

Any secondhand locomotives we get FMZ fitted never hang around anyway.

Good in it's day, be interesting to see what happens. I would think that at the very least the Twin-Decoder will still be available, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

I'm not a big fan of the Fleischmann DCC system , the new Profi-boss looks like a better idea . The twincentre has the retro look of the original push button mini panels and Controllers . If Roco had not come out with the Cheap Digital Start sets I probably would not have been able to afford to go to digital when I did. (second hand of Ebay Ex EU at less than Au$100 inc postage )
Track Loco wagons and DCC system

The Locos are what I collect and running them on DCC is better and more versatile . The ones I have converted with the NEM651 socket , I hard wired a decoder (and utilized the Blue wire) because it was much cheaper then buying a NEM651 equipped Decoder The more you do the easier it is (Richard probably can do them blindfolded
)

Of coarse it is easier to plug in a decoder than hard wiring , but a little bit of soldering doesn't hurt

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
146 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 15 Jan 2009, 06:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
I'm not too sure but I think the FMZ system was produced just before DCC ( at the time many manufactures had their own formats).

Hello at all

Brian you'r right, the FMZ system was produced just before DCC. The first FMZ systems were produced in the early 80th. The TwinCenter (start up in 2000) is a compromise between the old FMZ users and the new DCC users. The star of FMZ is shrinking in the last 8 years and no progress or development is planed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts