Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , i was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best kadee couplings to use on british modern wagons with the sockets , Mainly for use in bachmann MEA and OBA wagons . Cheers simon

(www.camelotjunction.co.uk)

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
You might find some information on www.electricnose.co.uk. He fits all "outer ends" of his stock with Kadees and models modern image, so the chances are he may already have "been there, done that". He also notes when the Bachmann NEM socket is not mounted at a height which allows Kadees to be installed correctly.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

Owing to the very restricted loading gauge in the uk, different items of rolling stock have their NEM pockets at different heights. so 1 coupler wond do all. its best to buy a selection and a height gauge. then you can try different ones untill you find one that suits you.

Peter

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Kadee make 5 couplers to fit NEM type coupler pockets, 16,17,18, 19 and 20. Unfortunately theses couplers only change in length with 16 the shotest and 20 the longest. Unlike the normal range of Kadee couplers there are no over or under shank couplers that can used to alter the height of the coupler when it's in it's normal postion in the coupler pocket. While most Hornby models with NEM type362 pockets are at or near the correct height Bachmann models seem to vary in height. Most of the Bachmann rolling stock I have, have had their MEM pockets cut off and a Kadee std 5 pocket fitted with the required coupler of length and height. Mostly the std 5 pocket needs packing up with some platicard packing to attain a compatible hieght for working with Hornby stock.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (camelotjnc @ 16 Feb 2007, 05:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all , i was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best kadee couplings to use on british modern wagons with the sockets , Mainly for use in bachmann MEA and OBA wagons . Cheers simon

(www.camelotjunction.co.uk)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would suggest that you buy a pack of 20's and see if they are the correct height when fitted. If its slightly out try a bit of brass shim in the coupling box to support the kadee. If its far too high will the NEM box drop down (it does on the Bachmann 5/7 planks/minerals), if so you can fit a bit of plastic card to the underside of the chassis to keep the mount at the correct height. If the NEM box is fixed then try gluing the Kadee to the bottom of the NEM mount if that gives the correct height.

You could chop off the NEM mount and fit a normal draftbox kadee .I would suggest one of the long shank versions to overcome the problem of buffer lengths - see http://uk.geocities.com/shipleymodelrail/kadee.html and
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/mti_article.html for more details on Kadees on uk stock

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>if so you can fit a bit of plastic card
I use 10 thou which seems to do the trick.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again all , for all your advise ! Ive just ordered a few couplings to try out , a no: 16 ,18, and 5! I also ordered one of those height gauge thingys!
I will let you know how i get on ,

Regards simon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts