Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hi

I write from personal experience, Having a moderately large layout using kadee's, I wish I had used electomagnet uncouplers. The undertrack uncouplers can split any slow moving train and the above track ones can be a bit of a faf to get to work every time. It would now be impossible to change all 20 of them. Maybe next time....

Derek

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Many thanks for the info, Derek. Confirms my suspicions and I'm lucky enough to be starting from scratch.

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
John,
Now I consult your expertise, regarding a suitable 'rigid bar' coupler. I have used the Roco pattern 40270 coupler inside 'permanent' coach formations, as it provides an efficient rigid bar linkage between the close coupling mechanisms, and the effect in motion is very good, all gangway faceplates in contact on straight or nearly so track. (In the UK Hornby supply a clone of this coupler with their coaches so there is a cost saving benefit too.) But this pattern coupler is not an autocoupler anywhere near the class of even the miniature tension lock or HO 'hook and loop', and has limited life if separated and recoupled frequently.

Two questions for your considered opinion:
Does the Roco 40397 provide an equally rigid coupling as the 40270 supplies?
How robust has the Roco 40379 proved to be on your layout?

Thanks and regards, Paul..
Hi Paul/34C,
Firstly, thanks for your very informative reply to my previous question, I appreciate it!
1. I’m dredging my memory somewhat because it’s quite a while since I directly compared the two Roco couplers but I recall the 40397 is almost as rigid in coupling as the 40270 but neither is as rigid as the Fleischmann 6515.
2. In my opinion, the 40397 is substantially more robust than the 40270, it can take heavy shunts just as well as the standard Euro or tension lock can whereas the 40270 can bend it’s extended tail quite easily, my friends and I have lost a few this way, like you it seems.
I suspect the 40270 is cheaper to produce and therefore more profitable for Roco, maybe that’s why they fit it as standard.
Just for information, have you noticed that the Hornby clone is approximately 1mm longer than the Roco? When I close coupled my Hornby coaches, I found that one of each manufacturer held the coaches together beautifully!

To David B, sorry for the thread drift!
Cheers,
John E.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you checked out the code 82 from Tillig and Rolf Weinert's 'Main Gleis' product? - no idea of the current status of the latter. I am all for Peco's product for proven long term robustness, and use it extensively: but better is now available, from the above in HO, and from Peco in the form of their bullhead code 75 for OO, though this is compromised by retention of the Streamline geometry rather than scale crossing angles, sigh... (Peco are very conservative, with Romanesque capital C, but they are now making an EM bullhead point with a scale crossing angle: and you never know, they might give up on 'set track' for their bullhead range, and allow this radical concept into OO...)
Hi again!
I built a small layout with the Tillig track and my opinion is that it looks beautiful!
Operationally however, I found to be a different thing. Bizarrely, coarser European wheelsets like older Trix for example, didn’t like any of the more complex trackwork like a double slip for example.
Plus, I had the known problem of the rails coming adrift from the tie bars, its a repairable problem but aggravating.
An old club of mine decided to use this track on their new layout and had endless trouble because it cannot accept any kind of rough treatment (Plenty of rough types at that club!).
The Weinert “Meine gleis” (my line!) is or was, actually made by Peco!
I have seen it in display cabinets and it does look stunning but availability in UK, price and reliability - I know nothing.
Cheers,
John.

·
In depth idiot
7,950 Posts
...Just for information, have you noticed that the Hornby clone is approximately 1mm longer than the Roco? When I close coupled my Hornby coaches, I found that one of each manufacturer held the coaches together beautifully!
Thanks for all the information, I'll have a think about the alternatives if the 40270 type prove increasingly fragile.

On that last matter quoted above of the longer mount on the Hornby clone, this was a serendipitous error by Hornby for OO. It spaces off their coaches far too distantly, but works perfectly on Bachmann's earlier introductions with the coupler pockets too far inboard; a pair coupling the Bachmann mk1s introduced before 2006 couple with gangway faceplates in contact. And this coupler can be used inverted too, if the uncoupler piece is unclipped, and is then less visible.

..The Weinert “Meine gleis” (my line!) is or was, actually made by Peco!...
Didn't know that. Wonder if that encouraged Peco's thinking, better move in that direction for OO? (Their code 75 bullhead is streets ahead of all their previous OO product, and I hope they might just venture an authentic crossing angle point in this range.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
May I add another essential tool when using Kadees?
A pair of their trip pin pliers!
I used to struggle with two pairs of needle nose pliers, to try and make adjustments to the trip pins, breaking a couple in the process. I’ve never broken a Kadee since.
Cheers,
John E.

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,300 Posts
An essential tool when converting to Kadees is their height gauge. It doesn't cost much and avoids much grief and aggravation.

andrew
There are in fact two height gauges available.

One is mainly die cast metal, and therefore should not be used on a live track, such as DC with the power turned up/on, or DCC which is always on when The power unit is on.

The other is mainly plastic, and therefore can be used if required, on a live track.

Both are the same, function wise.

Apart from coupler and trip pin height, it can also be used when installing above the sleepers/ties uncoupling magnets.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts