Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have some pictures of these? As I can not find any on there website. Also how do they work and how do you uncouple them?

Thanks,
Lucas,

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi OkaBek welcome to the forum

Great videos for Lord CC here are two more showing the Kadees closer in operation, the thing to remember is Kadees will not work on curves, in normal operation no electro magnet is needed and the cars can be pushed anywhere on the layout once uncoupled.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Lucas, Kadee website has photos of all of their couplings - this is the main one #5

Easy to find - on their home page LH side, click on Couplers & all the versions appear - click in the blue number that refers to the coupler you are interested in & behold

Hope that helps

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the replys,

so far from what I can tell they are electromagnetic, so you need a electro magnet to uncouple them,
also they can be set to delay,
is not possible to put a magnet on a curve at all? or will all curved sidings need the magnet before them?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Kadee / Bachmann ezmate fixed magnets work as well so you do not need to use electromagnetics. Curves can be tricky requiring the magnet to be offcentre and best avoided. Delayed uncoupling is one of main features of them

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Lucas,

The Kadees will work fine without the need for extra wiring and cost of an electromagnetic uncoupler as long as the loco is moving over the magnet as a reasonable speed the couplers will stop together, they wont work on curves well i have tried it but just before a curve would be fine in the second video i posted this morning the guy there has put the magnet under the point and so it may cover both roads for uncoupling, you can use the couplings by moving the wagons over the magnets at will saving having to pause and switch on an Electro magnet.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I would prefer electromagnets

The Kadee electromagnets take a lot of current, something like 3 or 4 amps, so you should probably consider a separate supply for them. You don't need to worry about AC vs DC, the pack comes with a heavy duty full bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor.

They need quite a chunky slot cut into the baseboard too.

David

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm in the process of installing Kadee's on my Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol stock ,mainly NEM type boxes fitted .Not sure I will use magnets .I will probably hand uncouple which is very straight forward and quick, using a small flat screw driver to separate the knuckles.I know quiet a few US modellers use this method though it may seem a waste of time fitting 'magnetic" couplings when your not going to use the actual magnetic aspect of them .Another great feature is the fact you can just lift an item of rolling stock straight out of the train with out disturbing the others or causing derailment ,Useful in a fiddle yard
It would be immensely useful if our UK based companies could set a common height as per the NRMA height measurements for coupler boxes .On the stock I have installed ,no item of rolling stock is the same height as the others and some ingenuity is needed to get them installed and this on NEM boxes .I use the NEM type no 19-20 and also chop the knuckle off 34's and screw it to NEM shanks from discarded hook and loop couplers,using 14 BA nuts and bolts .The height is much more critical if magnetic uncoupling is required from my experience with US layouts .
Martin

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 5 Dec 2008, 01:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The manufacturers are working to this standard now - it takes time.

Shame they did not get it right in the first time - it's not as if the standards were not already in place !

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 4 Dec 2008, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Lucas,

The Kadees will work fine without the need for extra wiring and cost of an electromagnetic uncoupler as long as the loco is moving over the magnet as a reasonable speed the couplers will stop together, they wont work on curves well i have tried it but just before a curve would be fine in the second video i posted this morning the guy there has put the magnet under the point and so it may cover both roads for uncoupling, you can use the couplings by moving the wagons over the magnets at will saving having to pause and switch on an Electro magnet.

ok then I will put them under the points for siddings, but would the mechanical magnets shown in septembers Railway modeler magazine work for it? or would you need some thing more power? also I have hornby point motors, would they get in the way?

QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Dec 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Kadee electromagnets take a lot of current, something like 3 or 4 amps, so you should probably consider a separate supply for them. You don't need to worry about AC vs DC, the pack comes with a heavy duty full bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor.

They need quite a chunky slot cut into the baseboard too.

David

I have about 5 spare non DCC transformers that I use to power points and assesories. would they power it?
also I have to cut for point motors so I am used to cutting.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I have about 5 spare non DCC transformers that I use to power points and assesories. would they power it?

I really couldn't say without knowing more about the transformers themselves. Do you know the volts and current ratings, or at least the volts and VA value?

David

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Lucas,

Like DWB i cannot comment on the supplies you have, and havnt seen the magnets in Railway modeller but Kadee do magnets to go along with their couplers supplied with an intensifying plate that should work fine.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The picture Nick has posted is for the "under track" variant of the magnet. It's wider than the most commonly used type which sits between the rails. The idea is that you bury in the baseboard. At around 5mm thick, you probably need a router if you're using a wooden baseboard.

Another point to mention about the magnet which fits between the rails and sits on top of the sleepers is that it appears to be designed for code 100 rail. For the shallower code 75 rail, the magnet sits 25 thou(?) proud of the rail which is a little to high to be comfortable.

David

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 6 Dec 2008, 04:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..................

Another point to mention about the magnet which fits between the rails and sits on top of the sleepers is that it appears to be designed for code 100 rail. For the shallower code 75 rail, the magnet sits 25 thou(?) proud of the rail which is a little to high to be comfortable.

David

I had found that & my solution was to remove all sleepers & then pack with card or styrene sheet until the Kadee Height gauge fitted as it should with the dowel flush with the top surface of the gauge. http://kadee.com/htmbord/page120.htm

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Kadees do not work with any old magnet - kadees own obviously, and those made for equivalent couplings like the Bachmann ezmate one are okay. Maplin use to sell magnetic battery connectors which were proved to work in pairs in an issue of Model Trains International. In addition Kadee (and maybe others) sell a magnet that simply uncouples rather than providing a delay uncouple as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the transformers are one that the voltage and amps can be changed depending on how much power is needed, the biggest one uses the same voltage and amps as the mains.

And the baseboard is made out of loft flooring on a table, it is not thick so you drill 4 holes and cut between them giving you a square.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts