Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope this thread is still active.
I've recently returned to a model railway after a many year gap and so far have a very small incomplete layout.
I'm just on the verge of fitting kadee couplings and am wanting first to mod. a Hornby wagon (W.Laugharne Morgan)
current production.
The present coupling is very simple and appears to be part of the chassis.
It looks as though I have to cut off the coupling and then build up 'something' to get to the correct mounting height.

I don't want to botch this so am seeking guidance on the best method. I have read several threads but didn't find any answer.

Hope someone can help.

agander.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 7 Jul 2016, 06:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>buy the kadee height gauge this will help a lot.

with the older style wagons I often fit a no 5 directly in place of the coupling holding to the wagon with a self tapper (best to buy some on ebay)
if it's a nem pocket like on thatest wagons then just use a no 18 to stop coupler droop use double sided tape.
UK model shops have several guides on their site to assist you.
With coaches I use a lot of diferent techniques depending on the bogie newer designs of course have nem fittings.

Thanks, I already have the gauge.
The present coupling has no box/pocket. There is a thin vertical plastic piece dropping down and attached to the chassis below the buffers. Once I remove that, all that's left is the chassis. I'm thinking of, say, 5mm ply glued on possibly with a shim to get the correct height.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many thanks. A very useful response and I'll certainly give it some serious consideration.

Meanwhile, I've bitten the bullet and removed the tension lock coupler. Next is finding the best way to fit the kadees. I hadn't considered using NEM stuff there. The wheels on my wagon are closer to the buffer beam, so I'll need to look at the sizes.

agander

·
Registered
19 Posts
I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.
"using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers."
Big snag! I was using plastic weld, as recommended by the plasticard supplier.
There was absolutely no sign of the card sticking - it just fell off, even after several attempts.
There are no mounting holes to allow for screwing on, and very little space to drill new holes, without fouling other parts.

So, at the moment I don't really know how to proceed. Is there any point trying mekpak(?) cement? Or what?

aga

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (A Anderson @ 21 Jul 2016, 23:55) I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.
"using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers."
Big snag! I was using plastic weld, as recommended by the plasticard supplier.
There was absolutely no sign of the card sticking - it just fell off, even after several attempts.
There are no mounting holes to allow for screwing on, and very little space to drill new holes, without fouling other parts.

So, at the moment I don't really know how to proceed. Is there any point trying mekpak(?) cement? Or what?

aga

The plastic chassis is probably the problem....some chassis are made of a soft, springy, plastic that is hard to glue to!

Apart from direct mounting a Kadee with a screw, you could attach a piece of plastic card using either a contact adhesive (EG Evo-Stick) or possibly super glue, but Super Glue can make a brittle join...or a screw could be used....with or without glue....

--------------------
Regards

Sarah.

Ah yes, I'll try that. I thought they'd sold me a bottle of water!

aga

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a quick update. Yes, it looks like the plasticweld doesn't like the chassis. I've tried a couple of glues, with varying results, but there is some promise, and I've done a few wagons that seem OK on limited manual testing. Whether they fall all off under greater load remains to be seen.

Thanks for all the help.

aga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.