Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon鈥檚 Edge, living on The Edge! 馃榾
That is one of the Hornby "Fictitious" Long Wheel-base Open Wagons. The round indent in the end was to fit the "Troublesome Truck" face for the "Thomas" range models...

Good to experiment on. The chassis is the one designed for the Goods Brake Van, and also used with the 4-wheel coach...

There is a compromise fitting...fit NEM pockets, and NEM Kadees...then any NEM coupling could be used, and you are not stuck with Kadees...

If you were to sell a wagon on, for example, you can keep the Kadees, fitting British Standard NEM tensin Lock Couplings!

In the post below, NEM Couplings are Fitted...using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers.

The Parkside adapters are intended to be used with the cranked couplings like Bachmann have used, but It is better to pack the adapters down a little using plasticard spacers between the adapter and the wagon floor, spaced to give the "correct" height for the couplings, and use straight couplings.

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/P...S_FITTINGS.html

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PA34

The coupling pocket and hook are Hornby parts. (X.9289)

I am working on fitting NEM pockets on most of the Ffrwd Locks Rolling Stock...I may later fit NEM Kadees....all options open!

Kit Built CCT...

Wrenn (Ex Hornby Dublo) CCT...

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...st&p=475529

Dragon Trainer
No Problem.

There are other sources of information RE: fitting couplings.

The Bachmann Collectors Club havs recently run a series on fitting NEM pockets and varius couplers, including Kadees and the Bachmann "equivilent"....

A good search on the 'net will turn up a lot of info!

Dragon Trainer
QUOTE (A Anderson @ 21 Jul 2016, 23:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.
"using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers."
Big snag! I was using plastic weld, as recommended by the plasticard supplier.
There was absolutely no sign of the card sticking - it just fell off, even after several attempts.
There are no mounting holes to allow for screwing on, and very little space to drill new holes, without fouling other parts.

So, at the moment I don't really know how to proceed. Is there any point trying mekpak(?) cement? Or what?

aga

The plastic chassis is probably the problem....some chassis are made of a soft, springy, plastic that is hard to glue to!

Apart from direct mounting a Kadee with a screw, you could attach a piece of plastic card using either a contact adhesive (EG Evo-Stick) or possibly super glue, but Super Glue can make a brittle join...or a screw could be used....with or without glue....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.