Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Agreed.

The ONLY best method is to religiously ensure that the height is totally consistent throughout... and that the coupler face is a consistent distance past the buffer faces.

Kadee offer both varying lengths and both under-set and over-set coupler options.

HOW you mount them is a distant second to the height issue.

You should have some 2mm self tapping screws handy though - much better than glue!

Richard

·
Registered
19 Posts
I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.
"using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers."
Big snag! I was using plastic weld, as recommended by the plasticard supplier.
There was absolutely no sign of the card sticking - it just fell off, even after several attempts.
There are no mounting holes to allow for screwing on, and very little space to drill new holes, without fouling other parts.

So, at the moment I don't really know how to proceed. Is there any point trying mekpak(?) cement? Or what?

aga

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (A Anderson @ 21 Jul 2016, 23:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.
There was absolutely no sign of the card sticking - it just fell off, even after several attempts.
There are no mounting holes to allow for screwing on, and very little space to drill new holes, without fouling other parts.

So, at the moment I don't really know how to proceed. Is there any point trying mekpak(?) cement? Or what?

aga

The plastic chassis is probably the problem....some chassis are made of a soft, springy, plastic that is hard to glue to!

Apart from direct mounting a Kadee with a screw, you could attach a piece of plastic card using either a contact adhesive (EG Evo-Stick) or possibly super glue, but Super Glue can make a brittle join...or a screw could be used....with or without glue....

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (A Anderson @ 21 Jul 2016, 23:55) I decided to go with Sarah's suggestion.

aga

The plastic chassis is probably the problem....some chassis are made of a soft, springy, plastic that is hard to glue to!

Apart from direct mounting a Kadee with a screw, you could attach a piece of plastic card using either a contact adhesive (EG Evo-Stick) or possibly super glue, but Super Glue can make a brittle join...or a screw could be used....with or without glue....

--------------------
Regards

Sarah.

Ah yes, I'll try that. I thought they'd sold me a bottle of water!

aga

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a quick update. Yes, it looks like the plasticweld doesn't like the chassis. I've tried a couple of glues, with varying results, but there is some promise, and I've done a few wagons that seem OK on limited manual testing. Whether they fall all off under greater load remains to be seen.

Thanks for all the help.

aga

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.