Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to buy a pair of Kadee No 5 Couplings. I need the ones which need to be fixed with a screw, however for my other train which will couple to it requires a NEM Kadee coupling, I cant find any number 5's for this? I have no experience with Kadee, just that it appears to be the only option for my project due to the fact I can screw the kadee onto the train as my train (Voyager) has no nem pocket to clip into.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You need Kadees number 17, 18, 19, or 20 depending on the radius of your curves. 17 is the shortest and 20 the longest. These are made especially for the European market and fit directly into the NEM pocket. You will probably need a minimum radius of 36" to accommodate the smallest but look at the M G Sharp website where there is a lot of information regarding fitting to UK stock; www.mgsharp.com. Also look at the kadee web site; www.kadee.com.

They are cheaper buying from USA but if you are only buying small quantities it probably makes sense by buying in UK.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am also looking at using Kadees, and so far I have come to the conclusion that I will not use the NEM variety and stick with the No 5s or the slightly longer (41/46?) versions. I think the Bachmann Voyagers have slightly longer noses than most so maybe the longer ones would be better for that.

Mine will be for Voyagers, but also for the Bachmann 158s, Hornby 155s and 142s, and Lima/Hornby 156s aswell as my 150s and 319s that I should be building soon, maybe even on my HSTs.

Does anyone know if there will be a problem coupling a tilting 221 with a non tilt 220 using these?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info people

I am only making one convertion so will buy from uk. I will have to have a look as I didn't realise they were different lengths. umm. Cheers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Some investigation shows that no.s 41/46/49 are the same length as each other but longer than the no.5. They differ from each other by having underset, centred, or overset couplers. It is suggested that no.5 is too short for standard Hornby curves.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anybody please suggest what couplings I need for a Voyager and a class 57 / class 66 loco, to be coupled together? The coupling for the 57/66 needs to be an NEM style coupling and for the voyager needs to be the screw in type coupling as it will be screwing directly into the dummy coupling housing part, which on my model is snapped which enables the coupling to be in line with the 57/66 loco to haul. I have tried with hornby nem couplings, the hook types but it keeps coming off the voyager and it needs a bit of flexability so the screw in ones are to turn while in motion.

Hope you understand my ramblings, still a bit confused.

Many thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts